Deger Pipes

Just came across them on my travels, crackin sound and easy key change. They are Made In Germany. Anyone know who sells them in the UK? Prices? Name of bands using them?

Comments

• Just came across them on my travels, crackin sound and easy key change. They are Made In Germany. Anyone know who sells them in the UK? Prices? Name of bands using them?
  • I got mine in the Music Shop on Church Street, Inverness. About £325 I think. A shop in Glasgow stocks them too. I know a guy who got his by post from the maker in Germany but I decided not to take the risk of damage in transit. They are great fun and when not linked to speakers are just the thing for silent practice with earphones. They need a certain moisture in the hands to allow the electric circuit to work so I use a little hand cream. The missus thought I was becoming a wristy.
  • Oops, my cum ort got in the way.

http://www.deger.com/

• You could also try The Piping Centre, I think they sell Deger Pipes too.

http://www.thepipingcentre.co.uk/index.php

• http://www.beggbagpipes.com/ishop/799/shopscr7.html James Begg bagpipe maker used to have a part of the music shop on Sausageroll St but now has a shop on Bath St.
  • Sounds pretty good.
  • Theyre lovely wee things.. If you look hard you should be able to get them for about £220 - £250..

As for bands playing them, dont think there are any. Although they have a great sound and are very versatile they arent really built for performance. I used them for some gigs whilst saving up for BorderPipes, but they can cause embarrasment with some of the things they do!

L

• ,,, can cause embarrasment with some of the things they do!

You must explain! I was going to give them to the piper in my life, as a present, but maybe not now...

• Aye lornemacd please expand on that comment. Here is me now thinking they are the business and ready to purchase when you now say they give you a reddy. !!!! ?????

Do they consume beans or what?

• For the record, Dod Copland, piper and vocalist of Toxik Ephex has used his beloved Deger with the band. Rumour has it that he and his Deger will be appearing at a forthcoming Gordon Duncan Tribute Band performance. Sorry, I dont know anymore than that, but keep yer eyes peeled.
  • Hehe, oops.. Should have made myself clearer!

They are usable as a performance instrument, through PA etc but they arent really build to do that. They give out a huge pop when you turn them on if they are through a PA, you can only use stereo big to small jack to jack cables to hook them into an amp and they play Amazing Grace if the battery gets low!

So, with the exception of the pop they are usuable for such things, you just need to keep on top of them!

Still highly reccomended though, great fun and no beans neccessary!

L

• Thanks lornemacd!

... they play Amazing Grace if the battery gets low! . Surely not through the PA too? That sounds like a wee bit of a design fault. What is wrong with a flashing light?

Anyway, thanks for explaining the source(s) of embarrassment.

• For some pictures of my Deger pipes in action, see the Travels with an Electronic Bagpipe link on my website: http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/>

I got mine second-hand. They work well with some amps and very badly with others, and I havent figured out why. (My attempts to understand how amplifiers work date back to when vacuum tubes werent retro, and I still dont get them). Battery-powered computer speakers are fine.

It would be useful if they could be made to simulate a closed chanter, by producing silence with all fingers down. I suggested that to Deger; no response.

• Hi Lorne Macd, You said: As for bands playing them, dont think there are any. Although they have a great sound and are very versatile they arent really built for performance.

Just to let you know - I taped my degerpipes onto my highland pipes - plugged them into a huge PA, put them into the key of Fsharp and played along with the rock group The Darkness at the SECC in front of 6000 people last night!!!!!! and they performed great!!!!! (a shameless plug)

Although I do know what you mean, they would have been better if they had an obvious on/off button and I am sure the soundmen wouldve preferred them if they didnt have a mini jack output. But on the other hand - no worries about tuning the pipes, just being given the nod two minutes before going on then grabbing my pipes, confidence of being spot in tune with the band - Im actually wondering whether Im going to go back to the real highland pipes!! ;-)

Stuart

• When Cassells tells us they still performed great!!!!! does he mean The Darkness or his pipes ;-)?
  • allan, do you really mean that this permits silent pipe or chanter practice? If so that would, from time to time be a godsend for us, the chanter when being practiced in the living room , whilst others are doing there own thing, is a little intrusive. Dont get me wrong, Im all for practice, and indeed moan about this a great deal, but quiet pipe practice in the living room, what a great idea.This request for information comes from the other 6 of us!
  • Hi Onny, Id like to say it was both. The Darkness and the pipes!! (and even the piper!)
  • Ive since heard that Cassells very nearly stole the show.

Well done that man.

• Hi - I use deger pipes routinely on stage - a few things will help:

1. Use a volume pedal between deger and PA to remove pop noise (ie turn deger on then put voulme up) also makes playing with band much easier generally

2. Degers are suseptible to active devices - for example plug them strraight into a guitar effects unit and the deger can be erratic - always put them through a passive device first - like a tuner.

3. a tuner is also handy to let yopu know the deger is no before putting voume pedal up

4. always put in a new battery before every gig - probably overkill but better than the low battery tune at an inapproriate moment. finally - and its a personal thing - i only ever use them in small pipe mode - more convincing than the highland pipe sound....

Kenny

• forsyth. Handy info.

Do you find that the grace notes are not as tight as one would hope for? Great sound though.

• never had a problem with gracenotes - or playability generally
  • Hello all, could someone post the manual/instructions on how to use the chanter? Ive just aquired them from a deceased friend :( Adrian
  • Theres a PDF manual on the Deger website.
  • Heres the link for the manual http://www.deger.com/manual.pdf

Bill Y

• ta very much
  • Is it possible to tune the drones a note higher, so I can play in the minor modes?
  • No way that I could find. Just turn the drones off and get something else to make the sound.

The feature I miss is a mode where all fingers down stops the chanter sound, so you could emulate a keyless Northumbrian pipe.

• Jack - cant think how you could design a fingering on the Deger to give you both low G and a stopped chanter. If you feel like spending some cash, the Fagerstrom Technochanter apparently comes in different versions for GHB, NSP and gaita. See

http://www.technopipes.com

• My idea was that the low G would be silent when in the keyless NSP mode. Youd retune the pipes down a tone. The oldest core of the NSP repertoire uses only 8 notes, there are quite a few tunes you could play.