Anyone remember...................Glasgow Green Fleadh ?

Around about the early 90s. I remember a huge line up but cant recall the full bill, some guiness had been taken !! It was May and very cold.

Main Stage:

Van Morrisson Andrew Strong & The Commitments Del Amitri Rory Gallagher Christy Moore

Other Stages..?

Luka Bloom, Kirsty MacColl Stocktons Wing Capercaille

Can anyone fill in the blanks? I was blown away seeing Rory Gallagher and Christy on the same bill, awesome. Anyone else have any memories of the day?

Comments

• Around about the early 90s. I remember a huge line up but cant recall the full bill, some guiness had been taken !! It was May and very cold.

Main Stage:

Van Morrisson Andrew Strong & The Commitments Del Amitri Rory Gallagher Christy Moore

Other Stages..?

Luka Bloom, Kirsty MacColl Stocktons Wing Capercaille

Can anyone fill in the blanks? I was blown away seeing Rory Gallagher and Christy on the same bill, awesome. Anyone else have any memories of the day?

• Swaffy, I remember that the wather was mince & I got on the wrong bus coming back. I remember seeing Kirsty MacColl (always good), being a bit pleasantly surprised by Hue & Cry being a half-decent live act. Del Amitri were there too. And I remember most of the ones you mention, especially Rory - only time I saw him play.

But I dont remember a whole lot else because we drank like thirsty fish yon day, but it wasnae a bad day out, & there was plenty jiggin/drinkin/neckin/fallin aboot. Chust whit ye need in your mid-20s at festivals!

• I also remember Runrig (didnt they top the bill?) and Joe Strummer, but I dont remember Kirsty MacColl. Mind you, I dont even remember there being more than one stage!

It was 1993, I think.

• Ah, Ive just Googled it and there must have been more than one Fleadh, as Kirsty MacColl apparently appeared in 1992. That might explain why I dont remember seeing her in 1993!
  • Good stuff guys, keep them comin. I dont remember Runrig being there !! Must have been a kinda Woodstock experience. Aye Stuart Rory was the biz, I saw him about 6 times I guess,..... he used to rock the Apollo, a class act and a nice guy. Its a pity he is no longer with us cause he was starting to do a wee bit a work with Phil Coulter ( good or bad? ) and get back to a few folk roots. I miss the big guy. Going to the Barrowland tonight to see Christy and Declan Sinnott ......should be a belter. Anyone else headin to the gig ?
  • Heard them on Travelling Folk last night, Swaffy, it was rare playing & chanting, even if I had to hear it through the PC. Wish I was going tonight - have a wee yin for me! Missed the new Peatbogs tracks on TF, though - did anyone else catch them? Apparently one was called Rotting Carcass.

Swaffy, Fleadh was in May 92, just as I was dropping out of Uni & buggering off round Scotland with a tent. I dont mind Runrig being there. Mind you, I dont really mind me being there, but I was in the Vic & the Clutha beforehand & there was stuff going on wi instruments & the like. I fell asleep against someone leg at one point (no in the pub!). I have the photies to prove it (blobsquatches!).

• Declan Sinnott = Genius. Mary Black has not produced a decent CD since they parted ways. His M.B. productions contain a treasure trove of material and master production.
  • Sharon Shannon was also there and went down a storm. What a treat she was compared to that big fat blob who appeared on the main stage just before!

It was a great day out but my biggest gripe(I had them even then) was that you couldnt buy any decent food anywhere in the vicinity. There were loads of greasy burger/fish and chip vans and nothing else. Thankfully, catering has improved over the years since then.

• Agree Boula 2 , the man is just immense, he provides all the light and shade with Christy and Mary Black and anyone else you would care to mention he has played with. He looks like he should be presenting an Open University program although !!

JJ - I forgot about Sharron Shannon as well !!, who was the fat blob you were refering to?

• Im not saying but hes usually even grumpier than I am. :-)
  • Ill pass on your best regards, tonight then JJ !
  • Grumpier than John J? That must narrow the field somewhat.
  • aye sorry JJ I guess its the ginger one you were refering to, was he not headlining that day? I can recall a really biting wind that day then I repaired to the west end before going for the coup de grace in the Lorne Hotel bar till yon time. Had a chat to Justin Currie about Dwight Yoakam then I run out of runway..........!
  • Mention of the Lorne Hotel prompts me to mention, as Ive done elsewhere, that it appears to be being gutted internally (perhaps with a view to reopening?).
  • Swaffy,

No its certainly not the man whos playing at The Barrowland tonight. Hes sound and Ill be going to his gig on Sunday.

Its A Wonderful Night For A Moondance, by the way. :-)

• Gotcha JJ.............Hes never really floated my boat anyway !

The Barrowland was sound tonight, great tunes and Christy has such a humungous repertoire that you sometimes just dont know whats comin next. His new Barrowland song was well received and a great version of Black is the colour for Hamish was another stand out. He just keeps on going and Sunday will be no exception.

Enjoy JJ

• Ive still got the unofficial Runrig T-shirt I bought on the way back to the car afterwards a snip at a fiver having been £10 or more during the day! So here it is: 5th June 1993 Main Stage; Runrig Van Morrison Aztec Camera The Pogues Mary Black Dougie Maclean The River Detectives And in the Marquee John Martyn Lindisfarne Carol Laula The Humpff Family Mouth Music Lost Soul Band The Dreaming Dysney Moon So that was 1993, but I believe there was more than one year before that. I also remember taking my son, who would then have been 9, and was fairly unimpressed, but has since played T-in the Park! Oh, and driving home on slow non-motorway with a large bottle of water to keep refilling my leaky car radiator. The trusty Vauxhall Nova!
  • whit? youve still got a T SHIRT from glasgow green in 93, what did you do? buy it and put it in a glass case else how would the print still be readable, unless of course bootleg ts were of much better quality then.

and i thought i was doing well having a ticket stub in a scrap book.

• I recall seeing Van Morrison; Andrew Strong, Christie Moore and the Silencers among others.

As to the year(s) I could narrow it to the 90s, even the early nineties.

And the weather, hazy and breezy (dust gave me hell with my contacts).

However mostly it was hazy..still is.

• BUMP

sorry, but you still have a t shirt..............

with legible print on it?

• itwas crappy weather so wewent in to the tent and saw 2 bands that stayed with us for years ,The lost soul band and the hummph family amazing,remember seeing later on Horse,luka bloom and andrew strong