John Mearns

Im in the process of adding a Cd of this Scottish entertainer to the site - can anyone tell me anything about him - info is rather scarce. On the Cd he sings songs with a North east slant.

Comments

• Im in the process of adding a Cd of this Scottish entertainer to the site - can anyone tell me anything about him - info is rather scarce. On the Cd he sings songs with a North east slant.
  • He was also the presenter of the Bothy Nichts programme on Grampian TV during the sixties. I believe you also have some of these CDs on your site too?
  • He was perhaps a much older version of Robbie Shepherd, and seemed to be on Grampian TV quite a lot during the 60s. Presenter of Bothy Nichts as already mentioned - he also presented another programme, the name of which escapes me, but might have been, The Ingle Neuk.

Youd probably get more info from Robbie Shepherd.

• If memory serves I think he was called The Bishop of Aberdeen for some reason.
  • After the typhoid outbreak in Aberdeen in 1964, the city decided to hold a festival each year to mark the recovery from that PR disaster. This was the, Bon-Accord Festival, and John Mearns was one of the people employed to, front, it. Dressed as, The Abbot of Bon-Accord, he would go from event to event dressed as an Abbot, handing out sweeties to the kids, meeting and greeting, etc. The festival fizzled out in the mid 80s.
  • Thanks for all the info - it will help us with the artist page. Elizabeth
  • john mearns was an expert on doric language,iIhave an ep by him which contains lassie with yellow coatie,tarves rant,tinkers wedding,kissing in the dark. he worked for the bbc for many years,and was a fine singer,he was also involved with amateur dramatics,I also havea tape of him talking to the bbc about scottish folklore and life in aberdeenshire,he is one of my heroes,listen to the tarves rant a great song ,that i have just recorded
  • Scotland The What - Old Meldrum Sports , We had John Mearns last year , Jimmy Spankie the year afore an the committeee wer awfy keen tae keep up the standards - Classic stuff !
  • awfy? Gweed sakes min; in Almeldrum its affa!
  • thats a fifer tryin tae be too clever by half
  • hehad a son jack mearns,who featured on alan lomax video with peter kennedy,hopefully still contactable
  • I'm the grandson of john mearns and know everything about him if you wish to know more