Jimmy Scott?

As I write here, I am listening to some rare old tracks of the late Jimmy Scott (Glasgow) playing his Hammered Dulcimer.

Does anyone here remember seeing &/or hearing Jimmy play?

Comments

• As I write here, I am listening to some rare old tracks of the late Jimmy Scott (Glasgow) playing his Hammered Dulcimer.

Does anyone here remember seeing &/or hearing Jimmy play?

• Ptarmigan, IÕm sure Lindsay Porteous knew Jimmy Scott. I seem to remember reading an interview with Jimmy Cooper, where he talks of going into a Glasgow pub and seeing a dulcimer lying, unattended on a table. After playing a few tunes the owner appeared from the toilet and threw a coat over the dulcimer, saying Òsee if you can play it nowÓ. He later found out the owner was none other than ÒThe Great ScottÓ. Another old Glasgow player, Willie Burke, knew Jimmy Scott and said that the only person who ever called him ÒThe Great ScottÓ was Jimmy Scott himself. I havenÕt heard his playing but by all accounts he was a great player. Maybe you should put this thread on thesession.org as people there seem to think the dulcimer is some modern American invention.

Jack

• Aye Jack, twas Lindsay who passed on the old recordings of Jimmys playing.

As far as thesession.org goes, yes, I have started a few HD threads over there, over the years - always gets a reaction from folks & not always favourable, sadly!

Thanks for the J.S. stories Jack, hope you dont mind if I borrow them for my HD web page?

<>http://www.causewaymusic.co.uk/cdfhda.html >

• The HD probably doesnt feature in The Session.orgs accepted hierarchy of instruments.

Also unacceptable, are non Irish tunes, sessions which contain more than the optimum number of 6-8 people and, last but not least, musicians noodling on the fringes ! :-)

• Och aye John & as we all know here, nearly all the best Irish tunes actually started life as Scottish tunes! ;-)

As for Noodles, I just had a large plate of Noodles & Chicken, with melted cheese on top ...... YUM YUM YUMMY :-)

As for the hierarchy of instruments - as youll see from my own Ladder - the HD is there, lumped in with all the other stringy things you thrash & bash! :-)

http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display.php/8107

• The Jimmy I knew played at charity event among-st other things, with his
    Hammered Dulcimer. He built a few during His day. Does the album cover
    have a picture of him in-front for the Dulcimer? Jimmy Scott from
    Glasgow was my Grandfather. please let me know when you receive this
    message. Kind regards, Alan.