OHaras barra (??????????)

One of my fellow forumers elsewhere has ask if anyone know more about a song, parts of which which keep going round and round in his head.

He says Ah hink ra tune is The British Grenadeirs an a cupple ae ra wurds ur the barras mine it disnae belang tae OHara an annurra bit is an ah loast ma hurl in the barra.

Anybody have any ideas. So far Goggle has been a pale shadow of its usual self. TIA.

Onny

Comments

• One of my fellow forumers elsewhere has ask if anyone know more about a song, parts of which which keep going round and round in his head.

He says Ah hink ra tune is The British Grenadeirs an a cupple ae ra wurds ur the barras mine it disnae belang tae OHara an annurra bit is an ah loast ma hurl in the barra.

Anybody have any ideas. So far Goggle has been a pale shadow of its usual self. TIA.

Onny

• I thought of Matt McGinns song Willie MacNamara but the lyrics are a bit different.
  • As Ah gaed doon the Gallowgate Ah met wi Wee OHara He says Hey Jock, Gies a sook o yer rock An Ahll gie ye a hurl in ma barra

Oh the bonny wee barras mine It doesnae belang tae OHara For the fly wee bloke Stuck tae ma rock An Ahm gonnae stick tae his barra

Oh the bonnie wee barras mine It doesnae belang tae OHara But at ten oclock The barra got broke So Ah lost ma hurl in the barra!

• Great, Auldtimer. Do you know whose song it is? It sounds a bit Matt McGinnish as well.
  • Thank you indeed Auldtimer. Ill pass this along.
  • Ive always thought it was that great songwriter Anon but it might be early Mcginn. Ill check that out with one of Stramash and let you know.

The only recorded version I have is by the Corrie Folk Trio and Paddie Bell in the mid 60s.

• Checked it out with Anne Neilson, and she says not McGinn but Glasgow street song.
  • Thank you Auldtimer and, of course, Ms Neilson.

For some inexplicable reason some of the words have attached themselves to a bit of my brain (probably too much vacant space) and are whirling around..... to the tune of The Girl I Left Behind Me. Does this actually scan?

• It works very well with the McGinn Willie MacNamara tune. Perhaps, Matt was inspired to write his song after listening to the old street song.
  • I also was curious about OHaras barra, and ran across your web site while researching it this evening. My mother was a MacPherson, and this one verse (apparently the only one she knew) I learned from her as a small child. I think it makes more sense than the equivalent verse I read here.

O the bonnie wee barras mine It doesnae belong tae OHara For the flye-awee bloke ran awee wi my moke And I just got tae stick tae my barra.

If these terms are not familiar, a fly-away bloke is a thief, and a moke is a horse.

(I had to join your site just to say this? LOL!)

Janey