Aberdeen Folk Club 50th Birthday weekend

Aberdeen Folk Club will be celebrating its 50th birthday next month. A weekend of events is planned as follows :

Friday October 12th :

8.30pm - Concert : Blyde Lasses - Tich Frier - Arthur Johnstone, and The Star Band [ Brian Miller, Charlie Soane and Gavin Livingstone ], with MC Frank Robb. - Tickets £12 / 10

Saturday October 13th :

1.00 - 2.30pm : The Wye It Wis - with Lindy Cheyne, including launch of birthday weekend commemorative Arthur Argo CD collective produced by Ewan McVicar - admission free.

followed by :

2.30 - 5.00pm : Open Mic, with compere Frank Robb. Open to all to come and sing, play or listen, featuring special guests throughout the day - admission free.

8.30pm Concert with Siobhan Miller, Ewan MacPherson and Lauren McColl, Frank Robb, with MC Danny Couper - Tickets £12 / 10

Sunday October 14th :

1.00 - 5.00pm : Open Mic, with compere Frank Robb. Open to all to come and sing, play or listen, featuring special guests throughout the day - admission free.

8.00pm - Concert : Tich Frier, Paul Anderson & Shona Donaldson, John Crawford, Geordie Murison, Bob Knight, with MC Danny Couper Tickets - £10 / 8

All events are to be held in The Blue Lamp, 121 Gallowgate, Aberdeen AB25 1BU

Tickets are available online at -

http://www.boxofficeaberdeen.com/

Im sure there are many people who contribute to this website who have been to the club over those 50 years, whether as club members, visitors or as guest performers. The committee are hoping for a big turnout over the weekend - everyone is welcome. Anyone who cant be there - if youd like to post any memories you have of the club, please post them here, and Ill try to have them displayed over the weekend. If its OK with the moderators, Ill bump this thread once a week until the events kick off. Many thanks, Kenny Hadden

Comments

• Aberdeen Folk Club will be celebrating its 50th birthday next month. A weekend of events is planned as follows :

Friday October 12th :

8.30pm - Concert : Blyde Lasses - Tich Frier - Arthur Johnstone, and The Star Band [ Brian Miller, Charlie Soane and Gavin Livingstone ], with MC Frank Robb. - Tickets £12 / 10

Saturday October 13th :

1.00 - 2.30pm : The Wye It Wis - with Lindy Cheyne, including launch of birthday weekend commemorative Arthur Argo CD collective produced by Ewan McVicar - admission free.

followed by :

2.30 - 5.00pm : Open Mic, with compere Frank Robb. Open to all to come and sing, play or listen, featuring special guests throughout the day - admission free.

8.30pm Concert with Siobhan Miller, Ewan MacPherson and Lauren McColl, Frank Robb, with MC Danny Couper - Tickets £12 / 10

Sunday October 14th :

1.00 - 5.00pm : Open Mic, with compere Frank Robb. Open to all to come and sing, play or listen, featuring special guests throughout the day - admission free.

8.00pm - Concert : Tich Frier, Paul Anderson & Shona Donaldson, John Crawford, Geordie Murison, Bob Knight, with MC Danny Couper Tickets - £10 / 8

All events are to be held in The Blue Lamp, 121 Gallowgate, Aberdeen AB25 1BU

Tickets are available online at -

http://www.boxofficeaberdeen.com/

Im sure there are many people who contribute to this website who have been to the club over those 50 years, whether as club members, visitors or as guest performers. The committee are hoping for a big turnout over the weekend - everyone is welcome. Anyone who cant be there - if youd like to post any memories you have of the club, please post them here, and Ill try to have them displayed over the weekend. If its OK with the moderators, Ill bump this thread once a week until the events kick off. Many thanks, Kenny Hadden

• This looks like an enjoyable weekend. Will there be sessions too?
  • Got my tickets and accommodation organised, and really looking forward to the weekend.

It will be good to see everyone in Aberdeen.

• Two friends and myself visited Aberdeen Folk Club in my first year as a student at Edinburgh University. This would have been in autumn 1962 or early 1963. One of my friends came from Aberdeen where his father was a lecturer. We hitch-hiked up including using the ferry at Queensferry (the Forth Road Bridge was not yet opened!) We met Arthur Argo who was running the club and even got invited back to his house for a party afterwards. And to cap it all although none of us were singers, we got to sing a song at the club as a trio (I think it was Jug of Punch or Wild Rover). I had not realised at the time that the club must have been very very new when we visited!
  • HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY Aberdeen Folk Club!......you were one of the very first of the Scottish clubs I played in 1980 after I turned to full-time music making 32 years ago. So best wishes to all of you from me solo and in the other incarnations over the years involving John James in Carolina Shout! and more recently with Fraser Speirs ....with a big thank you for your long and continuing support. Eddie Walker.
  • Happy Birthday.

I had some great nights there, back in the mid 70s.

One that stands out in my memory, is a night Johnny Cunningham did a solo gig there. I was lucky enough to see the Gaugers there, many times too.

Unfortunately, Ive already made plans to be in Derrygonnelly, Co. Fermanagh that weekend, but have a good one.

Heres to the next 50!

Cheers, Dick

• As I said on the Mudcat thread about this, Id love to go to this, but need to find out if there is somewhere not too far away i can park my motor home.

JM

• Not long to go now! Any word of how tickets are going?

Arenthere any other Footstompers going?

• No caravan parks in Aberdeen John. I suggest you contact the tourist information office, or just take a chance and park at the beach, where there are no meters or traffic wardens.
  • Ill certainly be there. Brian
  • The weather forecast for Aberdeen/shire is dreadful for tomorrow - I just hope that the roads are not too badly affected!
  • How I wish I could be there, but pressing family stuff claims priority!

Hoping everyone has a great time (despite the threatened weather).

• As a past President of the club, (1976-79) I wish I could attend, unfortunately due to health problems that is not possible. I hope the weekend is a great success for the celebration of a great club!
  • A great weekend with an unbelievable stream of top performers, wonderful music, an enjoyable war of (mock) insults between Frank Robb and Danny Couper (a score draw by the end), some great contributions at the open mic sessions, fascinating talks from Ewan McVicar and Lindy Cheyne about Arthur Argo and the early days and characters involved with the Aberdeen Folk Song Club (emphasis on Song!), so many familiar faces from all parts. The organisers deserve our thanks for putting together such a superb weekend. And special thanks to Mac for providing such good sound over the three days with no apparent time off to eat or sleep - he must have worked 12 hour shifts (at least) on both Saturday and Sunday. Now back to reality unfortunately.
  • I only managed along for the Saturday afternoon unfortunately.It was great to catch up with a few of the people whove been involved in running the club over the years and I really enjoyed Lindy Cheynes stories about Arthur Argo and the early days of the club. Weekly attendances of 200 were not uncommon apparently. The ratio of available performers to audience has certainly flipped over the decades...
  • I didnt make the Friday thanks to my next-door-neighbours daughter getting married, but finally got in on Saturday night to see Siobhan Miller and Frank Robb. Danny Couper started off proceedings and quickly gave way to Frank Robbwho gave us an excellent 40-45 minutes of varied songs, as well as keeping us amused with his observations on the aforementioned Danny Couper.Theyve been friends for years, so the stories they tell about each other are many and varied, and often hilarious.

Siobhan Miller, accompanied by Ewan McPherson and Lauren McColl took to the stage next and kept us well entertained for the second half. Siobhan has one of the best voices in Scottish folk bar none, and I dont think Ive ever met a nicer, down to earth lass than her. There were mumblings amongst a few in the older folky ranks about the main concert being headlined by someone so young, but I can tell you now, theyve admitted they were wrong, and were totally won over by Siobhan, Lauren and Ewan. Weel done quine!!

Sunday, seen Frank Robb, our compere par excellence pressed into service once more as he hosted the Sunday Open Mic Session. Of course Danny had to get in on the act as well, and the mock insults were soon flying which kept the audience entertained between spots. Sunday evening saw the final concert, hosted by Danny Couper. Danny sung a couple of songs as a warmer and then handed over to Bob Knight aka ME. Modesty forbids me saying anything about that, but I can say, what a lovely audience.

Tich Frier was just getting into his stride when he broke a string, but always the trooper he carried on undeterred while Frank changed the string for him. He kept the near capacity crowd laughing and listening as he sang unaccompanied and bombarded us with a string of jokes. What a pro - well done Tich. Next up was John Crawford a local traditional singer who gave us a selection of ballads. John is a great singer and if you like your music straight forward and unaccompanied, but with a true feel for the tradition, then Johns your man. Geordie Murison then took to the stage, and what can I say about Geordie that hasnt been said a thousand times? The mans a legend.

Finally we had Paul Anderson and Shona Donaldson. Paul had just gotten off the plane from Shetland at 5pm, and as Shona said, Hes a bit Shet-lagged. It didnt show in his playing, as he and Shona fairly stormed through the selections of fiddle tunes to the delight of the audience. Stand out moment for me as a singer, was Shonas version of Auchindoon, and if there was anybody in the audience who was unmoved by her singing they must have had their lugs painted on. A few more fiddle selection ended the evening on a high, and brought the Aberdeen Folk Clubs 50th Anniversary celebrations to and end. I think its safe to say that the crowd went home (eventually) very happy.