Wallace Lockhart R.I.P.

I have just heard that my friend, musician and author Wallace Lockhart has lost his fight with cancer. I first met Wallace when he attended one of my classes way back when; he was always positive and generous, and it was a delight when we met again more recently when he got to know my father.Wallace was a member of The Quern, a Linlithgow-based group who performed their Scottish-themed shows all over the world. He played concertina and fiddle, and wrote numerous books on Scottish music and culture. Latterly he finished his Scottish-themed novel, and I tried to persuade him to publish it, but his illness got in the way.

Comments

• I have just heard that my friend, musician and author Wallace Lockhart has lost his fight with cancer. I first met Wallace when he attended one of my classes way back when; he was always positive and generous, and it was a delight when we met again more recently when he got to know my father.Wallace was a member of The Quern, a Linlithgow-based group who performed their Scottish-themed shows all over the world. He played concertina and fiddle, and wrote numerous books on Scottish music and culture. Latterly he finished his Scottish-themed novel, and I tried to persuade him to publish it, but his illness got in the way.
  • Very sorry to hear that.I remember Wallace from the SMG(ALP in those days) from the early days when he used to play mandolin and concertina.He was a very quiet and unassuming individual and I hadnt yet realised just how significant his knowledge of Scottish Music was at that time and the contributions he had already made.One particular book, Fiddles and Folk http://www.footstompin.com/book-fiddles-folk is an excellent insight to the activities of the Scottish Music scene at that particular time(Mid to late nineties).Condolonces to all of Wallaces family and friends.
  • Very sad to hear this, Nigel. Wallace was a lovely man, very knowledgeable and very generous with his knowledge and his time.
  • Wallace was a kenspeckle figure in Linlithgow and an active member of several local organisations, most notably the Rugby Club and the Scottish Country Dancing Club. He was a great supporter of the Linlithgow Folk Festival and was a regular attender at fundraising events.I am very sorry to hear this sad news.
  • Very sorry to hear this too: he would no doubt otherwise have been a part of the musical entertainment in the forthcoming Linlithgow Twinning Association weekend, having been involved in past years.
  • On behalf of all members of Quern, past and present, I would like to express thanks at this sad time. Wallace founded this small group and, as well as writing some 10 presentations for narrator, singers and musicians, he took Quern all over the world. His presentations, particularly on The Life of Robert Service, Burns, Hogg, RLS, Stevenson, Violet Jacob, Mary Queen of Scots, plus Linlithgow and The Royal Mile were unique and consistently in demand for their entertainment and educational value.Wallace founded Quern to play for the local Scottish Country Dance Group, and to help charities and voluntary organisations in fundraising. However, his enthusiasm and contacts led to tours in France (several times), Germany, Spain, Holland, The Czech Republic, Russia, Canada, Australia and Kenya, plus concerts and entertainment engagements over a wide area of Scotland. His appearances had been few and far between in recent years, but the group continues to flourish. We have had fantastic experiences through Quern, have travelled the world, raised money for charities, taken Scottish music to new audiences, and as well as making lots of friends along the way have become close friends ourselves. Wallace played a full part in the community with involvement in many organisations, and was also a founder of Linlithgows rugby club and scottish country dance club. It has been our privilege to have shared in Wallaces remarkable achivements.
  • adminsfo: I saw Quern in Tighnabruaich. I also knew Wallace through our mutual obsession with Robert Service. He and I both visited Dawson City. Like Wallace, I also travel the country giving presentations on Service. I have every Service book except his book of songs, "20 Bathtub Ballads". I believe Quern used to perform Service songs. I tried to contact his son after Wallace died - his publisher gave me the email address - but I never received a response. Do you by any chance know if the whereabouts of a copy of "20 Bathtub Ballads". Thanks in anticipation. Ian