Looking for some good Uist tunes

Hello -

Wondering if any of you have any suggestions for some good Uist tunes (not songs) - either written by people from Uist or written for Uist. South Uist in particular. Ive got a few already but would be a help if anybody else has any suggestions.

Also, if you can think of tunes relating to Oban, that would be grand as well....!

Thank you please

NaP

Comments

• Hello -

Wondering if any of you have any suggestions for some good Uist tunes (not songs) - either written by people from Uist or written for Uist. South Uist in particular. Ive got a few already but would be a help if anybody else has any suggestions.

Also, if you can think of tunes relating to Oban, that would be grand as well....!

Thank you please

NaP

• As one of Scotlands leading composers Fred Morrisons Collection tune book would give you a head start along with his CDs -Up South etc -all sprinkled with Uist links and they are all good tunes as you request.Some would suggest that all Uist tunes are good. Iain MacLachlans Dark Island is a fascinating topic in its own right-whose tune is it and when?
  • Well judging by the slow response Ill take it that the Lewis tunes are the best ;-)

Thanks for that - got Fred already, will keep ploughing. Its for a documentary....got lots of non Uist stuff too. When people ask what kind of music I like, I always say I just like a good tune.

• I might have known a Le˜dhasach wouldnt be after Uibhist tunes out of personal interest.... ;-)

Anyway, theres a nice wee tune on Fhuair Mi P˜g (Allan MacDonald and Margaret Stewart) called Cille Pheadair. Not clear from the liner notes whether its one of Allans compositions or an older tune.

• Actually most of my favourite tunes come from the Highlands - Allan MacDonald is probably my favourite tunester :-)

Edit - just saw your edit there NB. Yes Ive got that one, its brilliant.

• The illustrious Uist piping tradition was also demonstrated by Pipe Major Angus Mac Aulay -among other interesting aspects of his work he played on the soundtrack of Whisky Galore if my memory serves me right in these thawing times.The Cille Pheadairconnection was also part of the title of one of the best ceilidh dance bands ever to play the village halls -the aptly named The Sound Of Kilphedar -I dont think they were recorded and that was a great pity
  • A quick look at my database:
    • Mac aÕBhaillidh a Uist (Darling of the Uist Lasses) Book: Simon Fraser Collection; Recording: Carl Mackenzie, Welcome to your Feet Again.
    • In Praise of Uist from a Fiddlers Rally LP, Scottish Fiddlers Rally Kelvin Hall Vol.1, 1976
    • Iomramh eadar Il as Uist (Rowing From Isla to Uist) Book: Simon Fraser Collection; Recording: Ossian, St Kilda Wedding
    • South Uist Golf Club (composed by Lachlan MacCormick) LP: Jock Tamsons Bairns
    • Uist Dance Deaf Shepherd or http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab5/uistd.html
    • Uist My Love LP: Bobby MacLeod, Tobermory Treasure, 1971
    • The Three Peaks of South Uist LP: Kentigern (learned from Duncan Johnstone)
    • South Uist LP: Kentigern (Learnt from Ducan Johnstone. ÒWe have been unable to discover the name of [this tune], but believe it to be from South Uist, hence the unofficial title.Ó)
    • Pipe Major John MacDonaldÕs Welcome to South Uist (composed by D MacMillan) - LP: John Burgess, The Art of the Highland Bagpipe
    • Donald MacLeans Farewell to Oban Aly Bain and Friends; Sandy Coghill, Out the Box; Foundry Bar Band, On the Road; Tannahill Weavers, Land of Light.
    • Duncan Campbell of Oban (comp.Lawrie) Glasgow Caledonian Strathspey & Reel Society, 1980
    • The Oban Weekend (comp.John Mason) Scottish Fiddle Orchestra, Tam oShanter
    • Echoes of Oban (comp. MacPherson) Ian Powrie, Farewell to Scotland
  • Does Benbecula count? In which case The Cat and the Dog is a great slip jig from Benbecula. Here is a link to Angus Nicolson, Coll MacDonald & Will Lamb. It is the 2nd tune in the set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGrVuAT60gU

• Thanks very very much for those - will go and see if I can source them myself and have a listen now. Thats brilliant, thanks again.
  • The Creagorry Ceilidh Donald Macauley Of Creagorry The Kerrera Polka The Hills Of South Uist Leaving Lochboisdale The Argyllshire Gathering

And one that shall really appeal to you Nic É..

The Boys Of Ballivanich

Why limit to tunes only when there are so many lovely tunes to so many Uist & Oban songs?

• A pal of mine from up there had some of tunes published in book which came out up there about 10 years back. I think its called Tunes of Uist and contains pipe, fiddle and accordian tunes all composed by Uibhistachs (sp?!). I think it may only have been sold locally though. There are some cracking tunes in it and some good stories behind the tunes too. I can give you a phone number for one of the composers if you like?

Regarding Oban, theres the 2/4 pipe march Donald Macleans Farewell to Oban, which was for written for a piper of that name who somewhat disagreed with the piping result at the Games. He vowed never to return due to getting shafted (piping terminology for when you get any result that isnt 1st)!

Cheers Glyn

• TUNES of Uist, Uist and Benbecula Accordion and Fiddle Club [2000.] Call #: 788.86 Subjects MUSIC: ACCORDION: WESTERN ISLES MUSIC: FIDDLE: WESTERN ISLES PIPE MUSIC: WESTERN ISLES MUSIC: SCOTTISH MUSIC Format: PBK Notes: TUNES ARE ENTRIES TO A COMPETITION ORGANIZED BY THE CLUB. Additional Authors: UIST AND BENBECULA ACCORDION AND FIDDLE CLUB
  • Boula2 - you cant put songs with words behind talking, so therefore tunes it is...

Thanks for all this info, great stuff altogether!!!

• Amongst some of the more popular ones;

Donald, Willie and his Dog ÐJig By P/M Donald Morrison of S.Uist The Skylarks Ascension Ð Jig by Archie Lindsay of Daliburgh

An Drochaid Chliœiteach- Reel, The famous Bridge (melody of the song making fun of the engineers who made a bit of a mess of the small causeway on the east side of Benbecula)

P/M Willie GrayÕs Farewell to the Glasgow Police Ð March, P/M John MacDonald, South Uist.

.Roderick MacDonalds Strathspey/ Favourite

The Shores of Loch Bee Ð March, P/M John MacDonald

Och isÕ Duine Truagh Mi- Port aÕ Beul

Hercules The Bear! Ð P/M Calum Campbell, Benbecula

Hundreds more!!

• Yes Glyn Mo it is called Tunes of Uist being 60 or so new tunes composed by a variety of composers mostly from Uist and the western isles,but some from further afield.(Penicuik!) It was produced by the Uist and Benbecula Accordian and Fiddle club following a competition . About 1999/2000. Some nice tunes! To obtain further copies of this book, please contact Miller Macdonald,Silver Rock, Kyles Flodda,Gramsdale, Isle of Benbecula. HS7 5LZ
  • Boula2 - you cant put songs with words behind talking, so therefore tunes it is...

Boula2 has a good point. If a song has a good melody, it will also stand on its own as an instrumental piece. So, you could still use it.

Unless, of course, you just wish to use existing recordings as opposed to commisioning musicians to play the pieces.

• I have tunes of songs dont worry - but tunes they are and not songs.

Commissioning musicians? Yeah if I lived in fantasyland....

• I have tunes of songs dont worry - but tunes they are and not songs

I think thats what Boula and I both meant, actually. :-)

Commissioning musicians

Sounds a lot grander and more expensive than it need be. Basically, I just meant getting one or more people to play the tunes for you. They dont necessarily need to be professional musicians and it could be done as a favour if they were particularly interested in your project.

Anyway, you obviously already have a good idea about what you wish to achieve. So, Ill leave you be. :-)

• I have something coming up where music will be commissioned - cant wait!!! Cant do it for everything but special things, yes.
  • JAJ has portrayed my meaning also.

Nic, I am madly in love with you! :-) - however sometimes you could make a Jelly Baby seem as complicated as Einsteins Theory of Relativity :-)

• Can anyone help me with info on Pipe Corporal Archie Lindsays beautiful tune The Skylarks Ascension, either about himself or the circumstances of the writing of the tune? I half heard Morag MacDonald talking about it on Radio nan Gaidheal a couple of weeks ago and missed the important bits! Thanks a lot!

MAK

• Mary-Ann,

From the sleeve notes of Kenneth & Angus Mackenzies Piob is Fidheall:

Skylarks Ascension ...was written by Archie Lindsay of South Uist after a memorable night culminated in the sighting of a vast flock of skylarks taking to the sky in the early light of dawn. Lindsay was a friend of Angus and Kenneths uncle, who told them the story.

Maybe chat to Angus for more details?

• Thanks for that - I had a notion that was what it was, having heard the tailend of Morags spiel, and got the crack with herself yesterday also. Much helpfulness all round - cheers! x
  • How about the Saw Doctors - I Uista Luv Her?

Just kidding...

• I have just seen this posting - listening to The Man from Uist at the moment.

Donnie and Dianes Ceilidh Band - In the Highland Tradition (Donnie Smith - a great accordion player from Lewis).