Jimmy Young

Sad news from Ian Green on Facebook

To all those of you who know Jimmy Young: outstanding piper and multi-instrumentalist, founder of New Zealand band Rua, originally from Scotland but living in New Zealand for many years, I have been asked by his wife Denny to inform all his friends in Scotland that Jimmy is terminally ill and currently unable to leave his bed.. He has an unusual type of blood cancer.
I have had the great pleasure of working with Jimmy over the years and we released two Rua albums in the UK and Europe: 'Homeland' and 'Ao-Tea-Roa' plus his solo album 'Pipeworks', which both he and I were very proud of.
Jimmy loved a malt or two.and in a session he was in his element.
If miracles are possible then I wish JImmy well. Ian Green

Comments

• Sad news. I wish him and his family well too.

There were some great sessions with Jimmy during the early eighties in Edinburgh. As I recall, Jimmy also played with Cranachan who were placed in an early Edinburgh Folk Festival folk group competition(1982, I think) and he was also a founder member of The House Band.
  • Terrible news, and I'm extremely sorry to hear this. Jimmy and I played flutes together on many an occasion in the late 1970s into the 80s. We were even in the same flute class at the Willie Clancy Summer School, in 1982, I think it was.
    If the links below work, here are 2 clips I posted on "Youtube" of Jimmy in his days with "Crannachan", round about 1983, I'd say.
    As Ian says above, we can only wish for a miracle.