Dave Gormlie RIP

From Tony McManus.

My friend Dave Gormlie died yesterday.
I was 12 when I met him in 1977 after an open mic at Paisley Folk Club. He immediately took me under his wing...just when I needed it. Brought me to festivals (Newcastleton, Kinross, Kielder) sessions in Edinburgh and The Third Eye in Glasgow, gigs all over, took me to instrument shops, found me a good mandolin and a bouzouki in Edinburgh. He taught me to appreciate good instruments and the people who made them. He made more than a few himself- bodhrans for Johnny McDonagh, Tommy Hayes, Jim Sutherland, Kevin Conneff, Donal Lunny, Mark Duff, Iain MacDonald.....many more.
He introduced me to more good music than anyone in the world- De Dannan, The Easy Club, Davy Spillane, Battlefield Band, Sharon Shannon, Ossian, Gerry O Connor, The Wellpark Suite, The Brendan Voyage....
My dad checked out the year before I met Dave and he didn't drink so someone had to buy my first pint. I was 14 and it was a shandy.
He nursed my first hangover.
He was the only person I ever heard swear in front of my devout Catholic mother- correctly, loudly (and for reasons I forget) identifying Gen. Franco as a "fascist bastard". She adored him.
So did I.