Tony McCarthy, who knew him?

Tony McCarthy wrote a song in 1971 called The Death of the Clyde. I have gleaned various things about him from threads and other places [he played copncertina on an Alex Campbell record, edited magazines - Sanity and Top & Tail], but wonder if anyone can help with more detail about where he came from, when he died, etc. Ewan

Comments

• Tony McCarthy wrote a song in 1971 called The Death of the Clyde. I have gleaned various things about him from threads and other places [he played copncertina on an Alex Campbell record, edited magazines - Sanity and Top & Tail], but wonder if anyone can help with more detail about where he came from, when he died, etc. Ewan
  • Ewan...

I have heard his name associated with various London folk clubs in the 1960s. Sanity magazine was a CND edition and he published song sheets under its auspices. He may ahve published his own songs through this. See:

http://www.bl.uk/learning/histcitizen/21cc/counterculture/demonstration/sanity/sanity.html

He wrote an article for the Concertina Newsletter No 14. (Aug 1973) The Anglo and would appear to be same Tony McCarthy who wrote Bawdy British Folk Songs,

There is a photograph of him in full song at:

http://www.collectionspicturelibrary.co.uk/detail.asp?image=28286&target=information

One Mudcat member wrote:

Subject: RE: Lyr Req: Anti-nuclear weapons song From: Dave Bryant Date: 04 Nov 03 - 05:00 AM

During the marches we probably sang We shall overcome the most - wed make up verses as we went along. H-Bombs Thunder was always a good marching song though with a good chorus as was the afore-mentioned We Dinna want Polaris. For a more reflective song there was always Last Night I had the Strangest Dream

Theres a wonderful piece of news film footage, showing the end of one of the Easter Marches as we were all coming up Whitehall. Theres a whole band of musicians at the front - just behind the big names most of whom had only joined in at Parliament Square. Im in a group with Tony McCarthy, John Hasted, and Alex Comfort - all sadly dead now.

So we know he had passed away by 2003.

Could have been the author of:

A threat to peace. The French nuclear force, the multilateral force. (Written for the Confederation by John Slater and Tony McCarthy.) Nuclear Inferno / by Tony McCarthy [London : CND, 1962?]

There is a CND archive at Warwick University where there may be some material relating to him, including Sanity.

....but I guess you knew all that.

Keep us informed.

Stuart

• Thanks Stuart, I had most of this but there are two useful new leads youve given me. Ewan
  • Ewan

Looks like there are copies of Sanity in NLS so might be worth trying.

Stuart

• I'm arriving at this discussion rather late, but I knew Tony McCarthy in the 1960s. He spent a lot of time in Birmingham (which was my folk club scene then) and then I think he moved to London, Camberwell sticks in my mind. A very pleasant man. I have a couple of photos of him performing with Alex Campbell at the Scots Hoose in 1966. CND was big at the time, and other singers like Mick Treacey, John Boler used to soap box their songs at the protest rallies. Let me know if anyone out there is still reading this conversation! I might have more to add.