tanninzie folk group. Ayr early 70s

I used to go to Ayr Folk club in the 70s in the caledonian hotel and also in the station hotel. There were some really good singers and guests. Hamish Imlac. Tich Frier and the like. There was a local band Called Tanninzie that used to sing there all the time and they were also on the Ayrshire Folk album. Which I still have a copy. Any body got any idea where they are now or what they are doing. There were three boys and a girl singer. I used to fancy one of the boys. has anybody got any information or pictures or anything at all please let me know. So My question is Where are they now????

thanks Laney

Comments

• I used to go to Ayr Folk club in the 70s in the caledonian hotel and also in the station hotel. There were some really good singers and guests. Hamish Imlac. Tich Frier and the like. There was a local band Called Tanninzie that used to sing there all the time and they were also on the Ayrshire Folk album. Which I still have a copy. Any body got any idea where they are now or what they are doing. There were three boys and a girl singer. I used to fancy one of the boys. has anybody got any information or pictures or anything at all please let me know. So My question is Where are they now????

thanks Laney

• I remember Tanninzie - a four piece close harmony outfit who did a mixture of traditional and contemporary material, accompanied and unaccompanied. They travelled quite a bit and did short tours.

I can probably dig out the names of the band members, unless anyone already remembers. I saw them in quite a few places. Does anyone else remember any particular gigs?

• thanks TC well remembered. Do you or anyone have any idea what they are up to now. Names would be good. it would let me see if i can remember who i had the hots for. There must be some more folk out there that can remember Ayr folk club. Sunday night in Ayr was the folk club. I.m sure that there would have been 500/600 people there. It used to fill the ball room. the guy that ran it was John somebody. Must be a senior moment because i cant remember. names and pictures would be great. I seem to be revisiting my past. I still love this type of music from jigs ands reels to a good heart wrenching ballad Get back to me TC

Laney

• 500/600 people in a folk club in Ayr on a Sunday night.

Really?

• There sure were. As i say the ball room was choka. The place was massive and they would erect a stage about a third of the way up the dancing area and the seat the rest. They used to open two bars at one end of the place. I was amazing. Martin Carthy, John Martin, BC. JSD band and gerry Rafferty played there to name but a few. you can hardly get those numbers at a concert now. Such a shame that the interest seem to have declined. I blame TV Computers Wii and anything else that stops people going out and enjoying themselves. Crump over (for today) Im off to Edinburgh to see Fairport Convention now
  • Yeah, I recall Tanninzie used acoustic guitars and electric bass and, style-wise, were in Bitter Withy and McCalmans territory.

I once saw them at the old Pavillion Theatre in Ayr (1975?) on the same bill as the McCalmans and it was interesting to hear the similarities and differencer between the two - both doing high quality stuff.

• I also remember Sunday nights at Ayr Folk Club in the Caledonian Hotel. 2 bars and large stage set up. Saw countless numbers of Folk Superstars for 1 pound. Tanninzie were one of the local supporting acts, excellent 4 piece harmonious band. I saw them in different places. Which one of the boys did you fancy Laney?

Lefty.

• In answer to all the recent enquiries regarding Tanninzie, I am Fiona, the lead singer from the band. The other members of the band were Ken Lorimer, Mick Shaw and Geoff McColm. Geoff left for Canada and Tommy Clark joined the band. So in answer to Laney, does she know which of the boys she fancied. Yes, there really were 500/600 people in those days at the Ayr Folk Club. It certainly was not held in small side rooms in a pub. At both the venues when we played, they needed to use the ballrooms. We actually played at a few clubs in Scotland where the venues were in large hotels. Folk music was a lot more popular at that time. Nearly every town had a folk club. You could be booked at different clubs most nights of the week. Not like now when a club will maybe the first Friday of the month etc. The name of the organiser of the Ayr Folk Club was John Clegg who did a great job not just in Ayr but in orgainising folk concerts throughout West of Scotland. As to what happened to the band - well, we are back rehearsing!!!! If it is good enough for TAKE THAT its good enough for Tanninzie!!! We are in the process of setting up a website so keep watching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• This forum certainly earns its keep! Well done to all on this one, and to Fiona for sorting it all out. Must have been amazing days with these numbers... Good luck with the reunion! :-)
  • Fifi oh my god Fiona. That is great news that you guys are back rehearsing. Will the web site let us all know who, what , where and most importantly WHEN?????. I had some great night sat the folk club in Ayr. You guys were there most sundays. Not that you sang every night. I remember talking to you all on one occasion and you told me that you supported the club 100% but did not want to bore folk with the same routine every week so you would learn (if that is the technical phrase) new material and then try it out on the Ayr crowd. Super Super nights in Answer to Leftys question. Who did i fancy. The bass player was cute but the tall guy that used to stand on the left when you looked at them was the one for me. I can still picture his cheeky face and lovely smile. Will you post details of the web site on this forum???? Gosh I cant wait, This is the most exciting think that has happened in ayr, musically for years. Im glad i stumbled across foot stomin and stared this thread. keep the news coming Laney
  • Im sure Tanninzie are pleased too. Job well done laney. An lesson for others.

You should expect a couple of free tickets for the first grand reunion event.

• Hi all, Im Ken from Tanninzie. Fiona told me there was a bit of a dialogue going on about our history on this forum so Ive checked it out - very interesting! Its a bit strange (nicely so, mind you) that some people still remember what we were doing all those years ago.(It doesnt sound as if Im the one Laneys trying to remember but im practicing my cheeky smile for our first outing this time around ,so who knows where that might lead?!)

The folk scene was so different in the 1970s - we were regularly out gigging (as youd say nowadays) three or four nights a week and all over the country. There were some great clubs and venues which sadly are now long gone.

A Tanninzie reunion would be nice for us as individuals but its really as much about seeing if theres any apetite to experience and recreate again (for however long or short a time) the special atmosphere that existed in the folk world of yesteryear (not, of course, to detract from all the good things going on today).

Were talking local of course (Ayrshie/West of Scotland) - well, at least initially: lets be positive. But it could be fun - with Tanninzie maybe a convenient catalyst for it all.

Wed like to try and do something alongside some other acts - maybe some from years past; maybe some from today. Itll take some organising but, hey, theres nothing like a challenge!

So, post your comments and ideas and we could all maybe come up with something quite different and special. (Tanninzie will soon have a website up and running so watch out for further details and you could then e-mail us direct if you preferred.)

Cheers for now. Ken.

• Bump.

I was the roadies Jack Russell terrier. Who among you remembers my cheeky smile & my punctilious attention to detail in minding the mixing desk? Im sure that a few of you stroked me.....

Anyway....I do remember mention of the band, & those nights at Ayr Piv, although too young to attend them, by my sister. And the recountings of large crowds at such events.

Good luck Tanninzie. My leash still hings in the press.

• A recount might not be such a bad idea stoosh.
  • The Alba in Dunoon had at least 500 every weekend. Started in the lounge of The Glasgow, we ended up in the ballroom of the Glenmorag mid seventies. There was a lot of drink consumed!!

It all went wrong when we started bookin pipers. The audiance were that pissed they jist couldnae handle the teedleum :0(

• Mik from Tanninzie here. Good to hear folk remember good times in Dunoon. I recollect we played the club at the Hunters Quay hotel - great night. That was in the days when the America base was in full swing- these guys knew how to have a good time!! We also played the club at Ardentinny. We played there twice. The first time was support to the late great Ian Machintosh (who we worked with regularly) : the second time we guested. I cant recall the name of the venue but i put that down to the 70s when i was a lot younger and the beer flowed a bit quicker- can anyone remind me? Tanninzie are trying to gather an archive, so if anyone has old photograghs or posters etc, copies would be great and well be delighted to give contributors a grateful mention. I can be contacted via mik@tanninzie.co.uk. Hope some folks out there can help us- it would be great to hear from you.

• It was great to see the interest Tanninzie generated a few months ago on here. Weve been contacted by a few old cronies from days gone by. Thought you might be interested that our website is now online - so check it out for more information, photos and music

www.tanninzie.co.uk

Mik

• Hi Again There are now 4/5 Tanninzie songs on Youtube. some old and new recordings

• No one ever got this excited by the possibility of a Kenspeckle reunion did they?
  • No one ever got this excited by the possibility of a Kenspeckle reunion did they?
  • kenspeckle........ so good they named twice.

• Thats right Mik, they were good. Very good infact, and I doubt you could even compare to the level of musicianship that was in that band when they were together.., and that also goes for CD who seems to constantly harp on about them at every given oppertunity. I reckon CD is a closet Kenspeckle fan, and he has a copy of the CD they produced before they split.
  • Also remember Tanninzie from Ayr Folk Club in the early 70s, great band and Im pleased to hear they are still playing music. Still have the Ayrshire Folk LP but nothing to play it on. There were lots of good musicians around in those days, an inspiration to anybody to with an ambition to play a bit. Where are they all now and where have all the folk clubs gone ?

• Kenspeckle !!!

i do remember them i saw them support wolfstone at the chivas whiskey festival i believe that was their first gig

can much of you say that........ no i thought so !!!!

bottom of a pram for a bug of coal i expect for most of you..........also saw them twice in Amsterdam the drummer and bassist were exceptional musos croud head count 5,000 easy ....Dunbar ...why bother (gods waiting room)

let me guess onny .........mid life crissis drive a battered old porshe with baldie tyres with CD in the passenger seat looking for women of the night got your number ...next gig sheltered housing complex thats about right is it ...DH