Company Policy

Times orra, eh? There I was on the verge of sleep last night & I remembered Company Policy. Anyone remember them? I believe the guitarist was Speedy Simpson, thats the only members name I mind. I used to hang about with his lad up till the mid-80s & saw the band a few times live late 70s, in Ayrshire. My memories are very vague but I do remember they did a few Burns & trad standards as well as being a bit country, but I could be wrong.

Comments

• Times orra, eh? There I was on the verge of sleep last night & I remembered Company Policy. Anyone remember them? I believe the guitarist was Speedy Simpson, thats the only members name I mind. I used to hang about with his lad up till the mid-80s & saw the band a few times live late 70s, in Ayrshire. My memories are very vague but I do remember they did a few Burns & trad standards as well as being a bit country, but I could be wrong.
  • As I recall they used to get quite a bit of tv work. No idea why.***************

* removed Forum admin

• Oh OK then. Thanks for taking the time to respond so courteously to my query, Onny of the 7181 posts. I never asked if they were keech, I only wanted to scratch a mental itch. So, they wre *****. Thanks.

Removed Forum admin

• That name rings a bell; Im sure I saw a band called Company Policy performing at the Glasgow Garden Festival in 1988. Would it be the same lot? I remember because I was trying - and failing - to learn the guitar at the time, and they performed a number of the same songs that were in the book I was trying to learn from.

(sorry, that probably doesnt help much!)

• Onny.... Ah think there is no need for that... Company policy filled a gap that wiz lacking at the time and if they did get T.V work ... WHY...?? Who else wiz there tae dae whit they were dain..? They used tae support Bill Barclay roond the clubs and it never done him any harm. He`s a Radio and T.V personality noo. Times change and so do trends. It`s a shame you have a bad word aboot a lot o` things `cause yer probably no a bad person, but just remember time moves oan .It`s a shame you wernae there when it a` startit....!!!!!!
  • Tae be fair... They wernae ma cup o` tea either....
  • Supporting Bill Barclay is just about right. Many half decent performers picks poor support to show them selves in a better light.
  • AlecSpeedy Simpson,Ian McKinnon and Dominic Boyce made up Company Policy. They also had a fiddler whose name I dont know. Ian is still playing occasionally. Speedy died some years ago.
  • In the circumstances I probably ought to retract my comment above.
  • What a miserable shower of w...ers. I knew Speedy and Ian well before they made the big time.....They had relatives in my area and used to come up almost every weekend and play in the local pub.

Just two nice lads who enjoyed makinother people happy !.....They played all the songs the locals wanted to hear....Wild mountain thyme Wild Rover bobby Magee all the old favourites and they did it with a good grace shown by very few on this forum. They may not have been expert musicians, or singers but by god they liked to hear their audiance join in! It was about including everybody in the music...the feelgood factor. Folk music and the self styled critics of Footstompin have become too clever by half

• Thanks, old Pop & Akhenaton, for the info & reminiscence. Sorry to hear about Speedy. I ran about with his boys in Hurlford years back & only met him a couple of times but he seemed a nice, keen fella. Saw em play once or twice when I was about 14 or 15 & remember they were very good at engaging an audience.

And I agree, Akhenaton - too clever by half (see 1st response to my query).

• I didnt mention that I also knew Speedy and Ian in their earlier days ,they used to play in a pub in Galston, my home town. The local people didnt get much exposure to anything remotely Folky, but I know quite a few who developed an interest through listening to those two.Maybe some even attained a standard acceptable to some critics on this forum.As far as musical ability goes,Ive heard the aforementioned Bill Barclay often , Speedy was a far better musician even if it was not always apparent in their Thingummyjig performances.
  • not always apparent in their Thingummyjig performances

Dye mean he deliberately played badly on Thingummyjig?

• Jack Mclaughlin The Laird o Coocaddens would encourage us all to Waggle our Willies.

Or was it Wallies? ;-)

• .................and the punters just gobbled it all up.
  • On Thingummyjig I only ever saw Speedy play bass guitar,but Ive been in his company when he played guitar,banjo and mandolin to a decent standard. The discussion is a bit pointless,though,considering hes not here to prove it.
  • Old Pop, was the Galston pub the Wee Train? I once met Thomas Dolby & John Martyn in there many moons sinsyne, when a lad, they were in the back room. There used to be the odd sesh as I remember. I used to live in Bowling Green Lane, years later.
  • Is it true that even after theyre divorced a Galston couple remain cousins?
  • Is it true that to post on a forum 7197 times would take up roughly one year of your life? Jings, I spend less time than that on cross-stitching.
  • Take a moment or two and visit the official Galston website http://www.galston.themutual.net>
  • Have just read the section on Famous Galstonites!! Im away tae dry ma troosers.
  • Hey, I never said Galston was Edinburgh! Funny site, created, I believe, by John Knox in 1564. Galstons where Wallace made his stand alane on the banks of the Irvine against a half dozen of Edwards troops. Says it all that Loudoun Castle, the Windsor of the North, was allowed to be turned into a theme park.
  • Embra? Its no even effin Paisley ;-)

Mind itd be a fine site furra jile.

• Stuart, the pub was indeed the Wee Train. That website has filled me wi nostalgia,how I miss the old s..thouse.But theres no Chapel Lane Marsh, and were Galstonians no Galstonites.
  • Is that the same distinction as in growing up from the floor or down from the roof?
  • OldPop, I dont miss the auld dump at all, although the butcher by the square did a mean slice sausage. The otters in the Burnawn were braw, mind.

Onny, there already is a jile 3 miles away. But Id no expect you to ken that, obviously bein fae such a class burgh yersel.

• Im very familiar with Bowhouse. I was, in fact, in the buildings before they opened to the public so to speak ;-)
  • I take it you were part of the rubble old brick? rumour has it you once jammed there with Johnnie Guitar.
  • Im so glad I never saw these post when they were made in 2007 as my bloods boiling reading sum of them now! I came onto the internet to see if i could find anything about my dads (Big Speedy) band, Company Policy and was brought to this site. Imagine how excited I was to find people talking about my dad and his lifelong bandmates, especially as hes been dead now for 15 years. But I have to say how disappointed I was at Onny for awe the shitty comments he made about them. They were very famous around the valley and Ayrshire. We didny have FB and Youtube back then, but now any Tom, Dick or Harry can put themselves on the world wide platform for all to see. It wis a big thing when ma dad and his bandmates got regular gigs on Thingummyjig and they played awe ower the place and did pantomines in Ayr Gaitey and Kings Theatre, Glasgow on a regular basis. In the 70s/80s they were very popular wi local folk because they were a great live, local band and could play most things from The Dillards, Deep Purple, John Martyn (another LOCAL hero sadly gone)Don McLean and many, many more. Just had to add a reply here in ma dads and the boys honour as they made a lot of people very proud and to say listen out for ma nephew (Speedys grandson) Terry King, who also plays accoustic and bass, sings and writes awe his own material and has a page on FB if anybody wants a listen to some local talent : )
  • Speedys Lassie - have a look here:

http://themusicgatherer.blogspot.com/2009/10/ayrshire-folk-1973.html

for a rare album on which your dad, as half of Speedy and Ian featured on three tracks.