Rigs o rye

Does anybody know a version of Rigs o Rye where the guy isnt such a b* to the lassie? Thirty-five versions in Greig-Duncan and theyre much of a muchness.

Comments

• Does anybody know a version of Rigs o Rye where the guy isnt such a b* to the lassie? Thirty-five versions in Greig-Duncan and theyre much of a muchness.
  • Short answer - no!
  • Ive had a rake through my recordings of Rigs O Rye, Cockinny Voice, and, sadly, they all have him telling her hell not take her without a dowry, shes too weak to climb hills/wade through rivers/get on his horse etc. She should have thumped him and, anyway, what was the narrator doing lurking about fields spying on courting couples anyway?

Still like the song though!

• Ah, but did she not just burst into tears and get her own way in the end? :-)

One of my favourite versions of this song was actually by an Englishman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBCLLZ224gs

but I was a lot more into singer strummers(and pickers, of course) back then. I still enjoy the better exponents of this style though.

• Aye, but no but........;

Oh, lassie lassie thy will be mine, my words were just for to try yee

hes ranged the hill and the valleys Or, and taken his bonnie lassie wae him

They live in Brechin the winter through, and in Montrose in the summer........

He cant have been that much of a barsett ;~)

• He made her greet - on purpose!! Of coorse, he was a toerag, and trailing her roond the country without even letting her on the horse, well!
  • Is this better, Auld Timer?

Rigs o Rye (in the third millenium) © Anice Gilland

TÕwas in the month o sweet July Afore the sun had pierced the sky Twas in atween twa rigs o rye I heard twa lovers talkinÕ

The lass said, Lad, I must away I hae nae langer time tae stay But Ive a word or two tae say If yeve the time, tae tarry

My hubbieÕs at the kitchen sink AnÕ ahÕm away tae the pub for a drink HeÕs cookinÕ tea for the bairnies three AnÕ then heÕs goat tae hoover

On Friday nichtÕs he steppits in Hands ower his pay, anÕ a bottle oÕ gin If ahÕm in a guid mood, IÕll say wiÕ a grin Cam awaÕ anÕ git yer druther

Noo this lassie, haÕin it aw set up Gets awaÕ tae the rigs, like a ewe tae a tup Tae get her oats in the rigs oÕ rye anÕ back hame early thÕmorrer

The laddieÕs heid hung doon in shame He felt aÕ yased, he wis numb wiÕ pain His devilish plot was aÕ in vain SheÕs aÕready trained anither

He watches her skip thru the rigs For him she disnae gie twa figs HeÕs jist a wee bit roll in the twigs She can aÕways fund anither

• anyone know where to find accordion sheet music for Bill Thompsons farewell to dunblane
  • CV, You are a star!! Would you mind if I nicked that version?
  • You talking to me, Auldtimer re Rigs o Rye?

If so, knock yersel oot!