english concertina in scottish music

Comments

• 2 mystery concertina players in The Oxford Bar ~ both played in Hopscotch Ceilidh band

Well, one of them was Simon Cooper.......a name from the past.

I think the other may have been Mike Penny who was also part of the Beltane Rapper Morris team.

• Simon Cooper.......a name from the past indeed. Did he no have a guid lookin wife?
  • Thats right JAJ. I never knew their surnames but they were both very kind to a young whippersnapper who probably played too fast and fancy for his own good...
  • The photo of the young Simon T looks like one of the rooms at Teviot.

Steve Sutcliffe is one of the other names.

Another name for ptarmigans list would be Jean Graham, now living near Pau in France.

• Ah yes of course Jean Graham, thanks for the memory jog David.

Thanks for Simon Cooper & Mike Penny - JAJ.

... a young whippersnapper who probably played too fast and fancy for his own good...

Och never mind Simon, Im sure theyd be comforted to see how your playing has really mellowed over the years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Thanks guys, this list is starting to look pretty healthy now:

Hamish Bayne, Norman Chalmers, Simon Cooper, David Corner, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Jean Graham, George Haig, Peter Hall, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, Ewan McColl, Tom McDermott, Iain MacDonald, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Iain MacKintosh, Duncan McLennan, Brian McNeill, Mike Penny, Dave Richardson, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Ian Wright.

• Oh, there was also Duncan McLennan who was one of the founders of Inverness Folk Club and a stalwart there for many years.

Im pretty sure it was an English he played but, perhaps, someone like Dagger could confirm?

• By the way, if youre looking for English players in Germany, dont forget this fellow!

http://www.concertinoontheroad.de/

• There was an Edinburgh concertina player called Tom Ward. He played in a band with fiddler Charlie Soane
  • Thanks EFC, Duncan McLennan is now on the list.

Thanks Jim, I wonder, was or is Tom Ward any relation to the Ann, on the list?

• Hi, hi,

Not related as far as I know.

Youve not put Duncan on the most recent list...

Does Ewan McColl count as Scottish or am I pushing it ? Hes certainly of Scottish ancestry and has performed/recorded a lot of Scottish trad songs in his time..as well as his own compositions.

• ????? Someone must have nicked him!!!

Hes on now JAJ! ..... this time with Super Glue! :-)

Hey, if Scottish ancestry is good enough for the Scottish football team, then its good enough for me .... Ewans on the list!

Cheers Dick

• Thanks to Kenny up in Aberdeen I have two more names to add to the list ~ John Leavy, & Tom Martin.

Ive also learned that Glasgow Folk Singer Enoch Kents father played a Concertina.

<>http://www.myspace.com/enochkent > Does anyone here know of his father?

40 Names now:

Hamish Bayne, Stewart Brown, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Jean Graham, George Haig, Willie Haines, Peter Hall, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, John Leavy, Tom Martin, Tom McDermott, Iain MacDonald, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Iain MacKintosh, Brian McNeill, Ian Munroe, Mike Penny, Mike Petrie, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Wendy Stewart, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Roy Williamson, Ian Wright.

• Didnt Ian Munroe have a concertina club in Kilmarnock a few years ago?
  • Other concertina players in Scotland not mentioned so far:

1) On his 1968 eponymous album Archie Fisher played vocals, guitar, dulcimer, concertina, sitar. He also played concertina on The Fate o Charlie, 1969, and on a Hamish Imlach album. 2) Wendy Stewart (Ceolbeg) 3) John Gahagan (Battlerfield Band) 4) Stewart Brown (Dundees Lowland Folk ) 5) Derek Richardson, multi-instrumentalist with Perthshire-based On the Wagon and the Tandem Band. 6) The late Mike Petrie of the Petermen (late-1960s) and the Foundry Bar Band. 7) Willie Haines (Shegui) 8) Bob Thomas (Silly Wizard) 9) Selby Cochrane (JustUs Forfar, early 1970s) 10) Roy Williamson (played it on very many of albums by The Corries) 11) Oscar St Cyr (played with Hamish Imlach and Watt Nicol, but I dont know where hes from)

(fiddlebinkie - was Alexander Prince Scottish?)

• Thanks for Ians name Jack. Do you know if he still plays?

Hey Nigel, that was one serious case of namedropping there! :-)

But seriously, BRILLIANT stuff. Many thanks for that.

I must admit, I knew Willie played Concertina, but for some reason I thought his was an Anglo. However, Im happy to bow to your superior powers of memory.

Cheers Dick

• Dont bow to me, man. My list is concertina players, but I dont know what systems they use/used. It all may be completely useless information.

Although Wendy definitely plays English, cos I played with her a couple of months ago for a dance.

• Ill post them all for now & we can wait & see. Im sure the good Footstompers will soon tell is, if any of them are wrong. ;-)

I dont know how I could forget about Roy Williamson, after all I saw The Corries in concert so many times. They were a great inspiration to me, especially the multi talented Roy.

I was actually passing through Nairn shortly after he died, & spotted a sign for an auction that day, of some of his bits & pieces. There were some of his instruments amongst the stuff, including I think two Concertinas. I heard later though, that they were both withdrawn, because the price started to go through the roof for one of them & whoever was in charge must have realised that they were actually worth some serious money.

I often wonder who ended up with Roys Concertinas.

• Scrap my Ian Wright - I meant Ian Munro... (sorry Ian).

Willie Haines plays an anglo concertina. Theres also Helen ? a lecturer at Stirling University who also plays the pipes.

Tom Ward was no relation of Annes. It was Tom who first helped me and found my first Lachenal concertina 26 years go. He also gave me the copy of Alistair Andersons brilliant Concertina Workshop. I believe Hamish Bain - whose concertina playing on The McCalmans Smuggler CD inspired me to play the concertina - gave Tom his first lessons. I only saw Tom perform once and it was a trio with Brian Miller and Charlie Soane at Balerno Folk Club.

• I just heard back from Scottish Folk Singer Enoch Kent, in Canada.

Enoch said that his father played an English concertina, in what he called the last of the concertina bands in Glasgow.

His name was Joseph Kent.

So thats one more name for our list.

Aye Simon, I thought Willie was an Anglo player.

Were up to 39 names now:

Hamish Bayne, Stewart Brown, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Jean Graham, George Haig, Peter Hall, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Tom Martin, Tom McDermott, Iain MacDonald, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Iain MacKintosh, Brian McNeill, Ian Munroe, Mike Penny, Mike Petrie, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Wendy Stewart, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Roy Williamson.

+ Helen ? a lecturer at Stirling University who also plays the pipes ??? + another, whose father was a judge ??? + Steve (Jo Millers husband) who originally played with Cloud Howe ceilidh band ???

If you can put names to these, or know of any more, please post their names.

Cheers Dick

• Folks on another forum are suggesting that I split up this list into those still with us, & those that have sadly passed on. So here they are. Please let me know if any name is on the wrong list ~ Ta

*********************** Scottish players of the English Concertina {37}:

Hamish Bayne, Jack Bethel, Stewart Brown, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Dick Glasgow, Jean Graham, George Haig, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Tom Martin, Tom McDermott, Iain MacDonald, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Brian McNeill, Ian Munroe, Mike Penny, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Wendy Stewart, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins.

Not to be forgotten {5}:

Peter Hall, Ewan MacColl, Iain MacKintosh, Mike Petrie, Roy Williamson.

+ Helen ? a lecturer at Stirling University who also plays the pipes ??? + Steve (Jo Millers husband) who originally played with Cloud Howe ceilidh band ???

If you can put names to these, or know of any more, please post their names.

Cheers Dick

• Mike Petrie died in 2002, Ptar.
  • I think it was Mike Penny whose father was a judge.
  • Ive amended the list ~ thanks.
  • Perhaps Ill find a few more names through MySpace: ;-)

<>http://www.myspace.com/dickglasgow >

Cheers Dick

• Or even on the yellow board. :-))
  • Hi Dick, one of Roys concertinas was in the Falconer Museum in Forres which had an exhibition on the Corries. I dont know if its still there following their refurbishment programme, but there is still an online version of the exhibition:

http://www.moray.gov.uk/museums/corries/index.htm

I was but a young lad when the auction took place and pocket money would barely stretch to a plectrum, but I believe it raised over £10,000 for cancer research. I seem to recall the bouzouki Roy used in the first broadcast of Flower of Scotland in 1968 was bought by someone from Bucksburn, Aberdeen. No idea why I know that! Maybe something in one of the newspaper articles.

I got to know Mike Petrie a little when I went to the sessions at the Foundry Bar when I was growing up and he was a fantastic all round musician - on many instruments - and singer, but he wasnt interested at all in the commercial side of folk music after his experience in the 1960s with The Petermen. A real loss when he passed away.

• Aye, JAJ, sure the yellow boards Mustard! ... so it is! :-)
  • I havent heard of Ian Munro for ages. He used to come in to Babbity Bowsters occasionally but he hasnÕt been in for a couple of years. Maybe somebody else on here knows if Ian is still on the go? I noticed you havenÕt added Dick Glasgow yet! Nearly forgot, I play a Lachenal 48 key.
  • Hi Steve,

Aye yer right of course, that auction was probably in Forres.

Im sure its a good idea for one of Roys concertinas to be in local Museum in Forres, along with that exhibition, but I cant help thinking he would rather it was being played by someone, preferably someone local, & so still making music.

So that auction raised over £10,000 for cancer research. Brilliant stuff.

• Ah Ha .. hidin yer light under a bushel eh Jack!

OK Ill add my name, on condition that I can add your name too! :-)