english concertina in scottish music

Comments

• .....We bought a concertina for to make the high hilarity Though none of us could play it though we tried our best - and worst We knocked a lot of noise from it if thats of any consequence We handled it so gently that the bellows it did burst

Well we got a boiled potato for to mend the concertina with When someone hit Maloney with the carcass of a cat .....

Invitation to a funeral..as sung by Jimmy Crowley

Seeing as theres so many experts here, can someone explain how you repair a concertina with a potato? :-)

• Re. Ian Munroe,Ive spoken to him a few times recently in Macks Bar,in Kilmarnock. He lives in the town, but he doesnt play any more, he told me the reason but I cant remember it. He did tell me a heluva lot about concertinas,and some who play them.
  • Thanks for the info on Ian Munro. I know he had some health problems, good to know hes still around.

• Hey, next time you see Ian Pop, please ask him to log on here & add a few names to our list?

Ive just picked up two more names, Helen Ross & Alan Wright.

By the way, can anyone here confirm whether or not Ewan MacColl actually did play the Concertina?

Scottish players of the English Concertina {39}:

Hamish Bayne, Jack Bethel, Stewart Brown, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Dick Glasgow, Jean Graham, George Haig, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Tom Martin, Tom McDermott, Iain MacDonald, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Brian McNeill, Ian Munroe, Mike Penny, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Helen Ross, Wendy Stewart, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Alan Wright.

Not to be forgotten {5}:

Peter Hall, Ewan MacColl, Iain MacKintosh, Mike Petrie, Roy Williamson.

+ Steve (Jo Millers husband) who originally played with Cloud Howe ceilidh band ???

If you can put names to these, or know of any more, please post their names.

Cheers Dick

• Dick, you have probably just learned something I didnt know. ;-))

Certainly, theres concertina on many of his old records and Im sure he played it too. However, most of the accompaniment seems to have been from Alf Edwards and, in later years, Peggy Seeger.

http://www.concertina.com/eydmann/folk-music-revival/

Now, who better to elaborate on this than our very own Fiddlebinkie?

:-)

• Yeah, seems you were right EFC. I am told, Ewan didnt play the Concertina after all.

However, the good news is that I found another name for the list:

...... one, John McCourtney in Glasgow. So we now know that there are at least 40 English Concertina players in Scotland! So there you are .... a lot more than I would have thought.

English Concertina players in Scotland {41}:

Hamish Bayne, Jack Bethel, Stewart Brown, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Dick Glasgow, Jean Graham, George Haig, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Tom Martin, John McCourtney, Tom McDermott, Iain MacDonald, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Brian McNeill, Ian Munroe, Mike Penny, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Helen Ross, Wendy Stewart, Steve Sutcliffe, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Alan Wright.

Not to be forgotten {4}:

Peter Hall, Iain MacKintosh, Mike Petrie, Roy Williamson.

****************************** Cheers Dick

• Ptarmigan, youre still missing Steve Sutcliffe (Jo Millers husband) off your list. (See my Jean Graham post on page 2)
  • Thanks for spotting that David.

Seems that Ian Munroe actually plays Anglo, so he had to go. :-(

English Concertina players in Scotland {41}:

Hamish Bayne, Jack Bethel, Stewart Brown, Pamela Carr, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Dick Glasgow, Jean Graham, George Haig, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Tom Martin, John McCourtney, Tom McDermott, Iain MacDonald, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Brian McNeill, Ian Munroe, Mike Penny, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Helen Ross, Wendy Stewart, Steve Sutcliffe, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Alan Wright.

Not to be forgotten {4}:

****************************** Cheers Dick

• > Seeing as theres so many experts here, can someone explain > how you repair a concertina with a potato? :-)

I believe you put it in your ears.

sorry to lower the tone of an otherwise interesting thread.

• Rarebairn, heres a chance to redeem yourself .... old spud! ;-)

Can you tell me the surname of an English Concertina {& Flute} player in Edinburgh ~ first name Pamela?

Cheers Dick

• Great. So thats another name for our list.

Thanks David.

I guess, Rarebairn will just have to find some other way to make it up to us! ;-)

Cheers Dick

English Concertina players in Scotland {43}:

Hamish Bayne, Jack Bethel, Bob Blair, Stewart Brown, Pamela Carr, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Dick Glasgow, Jean Graham, George Haig, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Iain MacDonald, Tom Martin, John McCourtney, Tom McDermott, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Brian McNeill, Ian Munroe, Mike Penny, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Helen Ross, Wendy Stewart, Steve Sutcliffe, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Alan Wright.

Not to be forgotten {4}:

• All right, i can exclusively reveal she has moved back to Edinburgh recently.

I think.

• Bob Blair who plays/played with Stramash is conspicuous by his absence from your list.
  • Dont forget our good pal Willie MacRae either........

A stalwart of many traditional music festivals including Girvan, Cophsaw, Moniaive and many more.

Add him to your list and Ill make sure he buys you a dram. :-)

• Aw, this Bob Blair: ;-)

<>http://www.folkmusic.net/htmfiles/inart499.htm >

Excellent work JAJ!

However, I see from this piece that Willie MaCrae actually plays the Anglo.

<>http://www.commongroundscotland.co.uk/htmfiles/tutor_macraewillie.htm >

Still, as you can see below, we now have < 42=>> active players on our list!

I must admit, before I started the list, I would have agreed with Simon, when he said:

There are not many at all. Myself, Norman Chalmers, Stuart Eydeman and a few more in ceilidh bands.

Thank goodness we were wrong.

Any more ...........................................

Hamish Bayne, Jack Bethel, Bob Blair, Stewart Brown, Pamela Carr, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Dick Glasgow, Jean Graham, George Haig, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Iain MacDonald, Tom Martin, John McCourtney, Tom McDermott, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Brian McNeill, Ian Munroe, Mike Penny, Jim Reid, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Helen Ross, Wendy Stewart, Steve Sutcliffe, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Alan Wright.

Not to be forgotten {4}:

• Sorry, my mistake.

When I asked him one time, Im sure he told me it was an English but it may have been the other way around.

In the link, it says

he furthered his interest in traditional music at the school folk club .

This used to be held within the 6th year common room in the cellar of the old Inverness Royal Academy and was known as The Catacomb. The club was disbanded before I was old enough to be allowed down there as the big boys would boot yer erse out. :-(

Another fairly well known Scottish performer who cut his teeth at the school folk club was Ranald Smith whom you may have heard singing along with Iain McGillivray also from Inverness.

• Jim Wild Geese Reid plays the concertina but Im not 100% sure its the English system. Anybody know? I think I have some photos somewhere but not immediately to hand.

...answered me own question, the back of the On the Road with the Foundry Bar Band LP shows Jim holding a 48-key English, although the details not good enough to tell the maker.

• Excellent Steve, good work, thanks.

Incidentally folks, since Ive had my first ever English Concertina for nearly 4 weeks now, I thought Id better demonstrate, at the risk of ridicule, how Im getting on. So heres a short clip of my first tune.

Farewell to the Creeks

<>http://www.soundlantern.com/UpdatedSoundPage.do?ToId=16831 >

I know, far too fast! :-( ....... Och well, you know how we all speed up when that wee red light goes on!

I guess it can only get better ...... I hope!

Cheers Dick

Hamish Bayne, Jack Bethel, Bob Blair, Stewart Brown, Pamela Carr, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Dick Glasgow, Jean Graham, George Haig, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Iain MacDonald, Tom Martin, John McCourtney, Tom McDermott, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Brian McNeill, Ian Munroe, Mike Penny, Jim Reid, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Helen Ross, Wendy Stewart, Steve Sutcliffe, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Alan Wright.

Not to be forgotten {4}:

• Just learned that Ian Munroe, of Kilmarnock, is actually an Anglo player. :-(

Good for him :-) but not for our list! :-(

So were back to < 42=>> !

Any more ...........................................

English Concertina players in Scotland {42}:

Hamish Bayne, Jack Bethel, Bob Blair, Stewart Brown, Pamela Carr, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Dick Glasgow, Jean Graham, George Haig, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Iain MacDonald, Tom Martin, John McCourtney, Tom McDermott, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Brian McNeill, Mike Penny, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Helen Ross, Wendy Stewart, Steve Sutcliffe, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Alan Wright.

Not to be forgotten {4}:

• Ptarmigan,

I suggest that you should strongly consider Alistair Anderson as an honorary member of list.

After all, hes a Geordie (As is Dave Richardson) with a very Scottish sounding name. In his time, he has also played and recorded several Scottish tunes, collaborated with Scottish musicians, has been associated with various Scottish festivals esp Newcastleton, and...last but not least...he has surely been a major inspiration for many of the young budding Scottish players.

Have I got a point or not? :-)

• JAJ - A. A. sounds more like a candidate for a sub-category, but Im not sure I want, or really need, to go down that road.

The idea behind the list was more about finding out just how many E .C. players there were in Scotland, especially relatively unknown ones, given the earlier statement that there were probably very few.

Now of course nobody could class A. A. as unknown & in any case, Im not sure he would feel the need or desire to be on a list of Scottish based musicians in the first place. You know proud these Geordies are! :-)

However, if this list does ever extend beyond the border, then you can be sure that Alistair Andersons name, would be the first on the new list.

Cheers Dick

• I didnt see Pete Shepherd of Shepherd , Spiers and Watson fame ! , he is an accomplished melodian player

• Sorry, Im not sure what you mean...

This thread is titled english concertina......... and is concerned with those who play English concertina. Perhaps Pete also plays this instrument in addition to the melodeon but you havent stated this.

• Hey guys, Ive just written to Pete to find out ... from the horses mouth!

So watch this space! :-)

Cheers Dick

• Just to let you know Sonny Jim,

I havent heard back from Pete, but in any case, I can find no record of him playing an English Concertina, so until I do, Im afraid I cant add his name to the list ... sorry.

Cheers Dick

• Thought youd like to know that I found another one: :-)

Astryd Jamieson {Shetland}:

http://www.myspace.com/kollifirbolli

Had to remove one name though, so were still at ~ 42!

************************************* English Concertina players in Scotland {42}:

Hamish Bayne, Jack Bethel, Bob Blair, Stewart Brown, Pamela Carr, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Jean Graham, George Haig, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Astryd Jamieson, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Iain MacDonald, Tom Martin, John McCourtney, Tom McDermott, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Brian McNeill, Mike Penny, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Helen Ross, Wendy Stewart, Steve Sutcliffe, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Alan Wright.

Not to be forgotten {4}:

• Thought youd like to know that I found another one: :-)

Astryd Jamieson {Shetland}:

http://www.myspace.com/kollifirbolli

Had to remove one name though, so were still at ~ 42!

P.S. Simon, I did manage to find myself an Aeola:

<>http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/41030/2604771400102727105S600x600Q85.jpg >

You were right, the tone is just perfect for playing with songs & those low notes are crackerjack! .... naw, youd be too young to remember that TV Show! :-)

Oh yes, & it sounds like this:

<>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPdKRlPpYGQ >

************************************* English Concertina players in Scotland {42}:

Hamish Bayne, Jack Bethel, Bob Blair, Stewart Brown, Pamela Carr, Norman Chalmers, Selby Cochrane, Simon Cooper, David Corner, Oscar St Cyr, John Eaglesham, Stuart Eydeman, Archie Fisher, John Gahagan, Jean Graham, George Haig, Simon Harbord, Gordon Hotchkiss, Astryd Jamieson, Nigel Jelks, Joseph Kent, John Leavy, Iain MacDonald, Tom Martin, John McCourtney, Tom McDermott, Marta McGlynn, Geordie McIntyre, Brian McNeill, Mike Penny, Dave Richardson, Derek Richardson, Helen Ross, Wendy Stewart, Steve Sutcliffe, Bob Thomas, Simon Thoumire, Erland Voy, Ann Ward, Tom Ward, Frances Wilkins, Alan Wright.

Not to be forgotten {4}: