Old Boys of the Lough photos

Were looking for old Boys of the Lough photos of the original lineup either with Dick Gaughan or Mike Whellans for the Scottish Traditional Music Hall of Fame. There seems to be nothing around that we can find :-) Can you help?

Comments

• Were looking for old Boys of the Lough photos of the original lineup either with Dick Gaughan or Mike Whellans for the Scottish Traditional Music Hall of Fame. There seems to be nothing around that we can find :-) Can you help?
  • How about old album sleeves?
  • Maybe the artists themselves or Robin Morton might have some?
  • Yes none of the band members seem to have anything apart from old newspaper cuttings.
  • Hi Simon - I certainly have a few early cuttings from newspapers. There was a photo and article about the band when Dick Gaughan was with them in a magazine called Folk Review and also when Colin Irwin was writing for either NME or Melody Maker, I may still have the page from Folk Review but no photo, unfortunately. If its any help, I can send it to you if you give me an address.You could try the people at the fRoots Readers Forum, or maybe even the Mudcat CafŽ site.The cover of their very first album was drawn by Sandy Cheyne when the band - with Gaughan - appeared at the 1972 Aberdeen Folk Festival. Im sure Sandy would give you permission to use it if you dont have any luck tracking down a photo.
  • Perhaps, Pete Heywood might be able to help too?The Living Tradition didnt start until the eighties but he may have access to older photographs which may have been used for historical reasons in more recent articles. Or one of the magazine contributors might also have?The BOTL with Mike Whellans appeared at Inverness Folk Festival in 1972. I wonder if any of the oldtimers have access to any taken at the time? Although I was there, my main concern was getting the last round in as well as enjoying the music, of course.:-)
  • Pete Heywood put a photo on Facebook just a few days ago of the line up with the Richardson brothers, Aly and Cathal, taken at Girvan. He seems to have a pretty good archive of pictures from early Girvan festivals.
  • Kenny sent me some really interesting news clippings of the band. Here is one from circa 1972(?) written by Alistair Clarkhttp://projects.scottishcultureonline.com/hall-of- fame/boys-of-the-lough-newspaper-clipping/