Peter Boond RIP

This from Patsy Seddon on FB:Peter Boond died late this afternoon after a long illness. Steph has asked us to let everyone know. We saw him at 2.30pm and he was aware and waved me goodbye and gave Mike a thumbs up. Then Steph went in to be with him for a while. Later a group of good friends were together with Steph, Jess and Fionn when the news came from the hospital.Peter was a founder-member of Ceolbeg and a mainstay through the bands many line-ups.

Comments

• This from Patsy Seddon on FB:Peter Boond died late this afternoon after a long illness. Steph has asked us to let everyone know. We saw him at 2.30pm and he was aware and waved me goodbye and gave Mike a thumbs up. Then Steph went in to be with him for a while. Later a group of good friends were together with Steph, Jess and Fionn when the news came from the hospital.Peter was a founder-member of Ceolbeg and a mainstay through the bands many line-ups.
  • Really sorry to hear this sad news - Pete was a great guy, and will be sorely missed.Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
  • Very sad news, indeed. Another fine musician and good man gone much too soon.
  • Im very sorry to hear this news.As stated in the first post, Pete was the mainstay of this very important and seminal band which spanned over two decades and provided an early platform for many now established names in Scottish music.Pete was also very active in other areas of the folk music scene and a session stalwart especially around the Dundee area in the earlier days and, later, in Edinburgh. An extremely sociable and approachable individual, he was liked and respected by all.My condolences go to Steph and all of Petes family and friends at this sad time.
  • Im sorry to hear this news. Ive havent seen Pete for a few years but we used to meet all the time in sessions and festivals. He was always very kind to young musicians. RIP
  • Sad news indeed. My deepest sympathies to Steph, Jess & Fionn. Farewell Pete and thanks for all the shared drams, craic and music. R.I.P.
  • From John Barrow:There will be a memorial service for Peter Boond next Monday, January 21, at 3pm in the East Linton Community Hall. All are welcome. There will be a formal notice in tomorrows Scotsman. Anticipate a tune and a song afterwards so please bring voices and instruments; venue tbc. fyi: East Linton is on the A1 road about 25 miles east of Edinburgh
  • For those who cannot navigate without satnav, the postcode for East Linton Community Hall is EH40 3BQ.
  • I dont think Kevin MacLeod will object to me posting his lovely tribute to Pete (originally on FB)We are deeply saddened to learn of the untimely death of another lifelong friend, Peter Boond. I met Pete in 1977, probably when I first started going to the traditional music sessionIn the Ship in Broughty Ferry in Dundee. It became a whirl of great music and fun, and Peter, Davy Carmichael and Mick Ward were at the heart of it, with the Gibb brothers, and yonger guys like Stuart Morison all piling in. Marvellous times, and Ive not one photo. My great pal, butcher and guitarist Alan Kennedy once took a plastic bag full of cows ribs along to the session, specially for Peter, who was looking to make up a really fine set of bones, which he played really well. At the end of the night, in the melee, Pete collected his heavy bag, only to find it full of Tennents lager cans! Some poor late night reveller must have had a fair fleg when he opened his identical Tennents lager plastic bag only to find Peters ribs! Ceolbeg was Petes band, and good and Scottish and fun it was too, though fitting teaching in always seemed to keep them back a bit, but these were simple and innocent times in traditional music, and Pete enjoyed the craic immensely, and was such a lovely guy to be around. I cant believe hes gone, way too young, and leaving such a charming wife, Stephanie and their two kids, who Pete worshipped. Awful news.Kevin & Christine Macleod
  • Many thanks for that. Kevin has captured Peter superbly.
  • Copied from my own FB post today:For those of you who dont know already (I didnt), Peter Boond died Sunday, Jan 13 after what must have been a long struggle with lung cancer. His memorial was today, in East Linton in Scotland, which I might have gone to, but Ive been on a ship at sea - enjoying music and life much as Peter would have done. I think it is not unfair to say that I was one of many who loved him. Though I had not seen him in many years, I had no idea I would not see him again. I imagine that he and Davy must be starting up their new band. Itll be a good one.
  • http://youtu.be/C2O9sfkS_wYA year ago today since Pete left us. We had some great times together in the early days of Ceolbeg, and hes much missed. The above clip is of me and him having a bit of fun with a couple of Irish reels at Aberdeen University Folk Club in 1984.RIP, Pete.
  • We were aa jist bairns then. But having fun then and now!
  • Happy days.A good year for Ceolbeg as I recall. Didnt you win the Edinburgh Folk Festival folk group competition that year, Kenny?
  • Great track, Kenny, thanks for posting it!