Ceolbeg

Were in the process of gathering info to put up an artists page on the site for Ceolbeg. In Simons recollection, Ceolbeg , Deaf Shepherd and Seannachie were all in a folk band competition which Ceolbeg won. Then he thought it might have been Burach rather than Ceolbeg. Anybody remember this? Also who were the original members of Ceolbeg?

Comments

• Were in the process of gathering info to put up an artists page on the site for Ceolbeg. In Simons recollection, Ceolbeg , Deaf Shepherd and Seannachie were all in a folk band competition which Ceolbeg won. Then he thought it might have been Burach rather than Ceolbeg. Anybody remember this? Also who were the original members of Ceolbeg?
  • I think Ceolbeg won the Edinburgh Folk Festival Group competition in 1984. Seannachie entered it too on different occasions but Im not sure if they ever won. This was before Deaf Shepherds time, of course.

Everyone in the Scottish Folk scene has played with Ceolbeg. Its an alternative to Jury Service. ;-)

I cant remember who was all in the original line up now. I first saw them in 1981 at St Andrews Festival and they included Peter Boond (Cittern, whistles, vocal etc) and his then wife(I believe) Barbara (Dymock). Im not too sure who else was in the band that weekend. Kenny Hadden hadnt yet joined but was playing great tunes with them in the sessions there. What stood out was Barbaras wonderful vocals and her interpretation of a song called The Silken Snood which was revived within the band a few years later by Aileen Carr.

Anyway, the line up on the first Ceolbeg album released in 1984 was Dave Whyte(lead vocals, Guitar, keyboards), Kenny Hadden(Flute, whistles), Peter Boond(Cittern, vocals, whistles), Stuart Morrison(fiddles, viola), Davey Carmichael(Mandola, tenor banjo, vocals). Im not sure what the two Davys are doing these days , although Ive followed the progress of Peter, Stuart, and Kenny over the years.

Youll be more aware of the recent line ups, Im sure. Maybe, Kenny might be able to give us a little more info about the earlier days.

• Thanks John - I think they were around for about 25 years and made 6 albums and weve got 4 of them to add to the site.
  • Earliest line-up I can remember of Ceolbeg would be Peter & Barbara with Dave Whyte, Davy Carmichael, and I think Arthur Gibb on fiddle. I think that was the line up when I first heard them at St.Andrews. Youve a good memory , JohnJ. Not sure if Seannachie were in the competition the same year as Ceolbeg - they may have been. Deaf Shepherd were certainly not around at that time. Not sure about Burach either, but there was a band largely composed of the Marwick family in it that year, which may have included Sandy Brechin. 2nd in the competition was a female group from Yorkshire, called Scolds Bridle, and 3rd were The Wild Geese from Ireland, which included Gerry OConnor, and Manus Lunny. It was the first time many people had heard Gerry and Manus - [ the other 2 in the band were singer and bodhran player Norman King, surely the best front-man a band ever had, and Peadar Howley on flute and whistles]. Theres no doubt The Wild Geese got more work out of it than Ceolbeg, and rightly so. Pete Boond would be the authority on Ceolbeg, having been an original member from the beginning through to the farewell gig at the Queens Hall 2 years ago. Happy days !
  • Ah, The Wild Geese! Peader hang aound Edinburgh for quite a while afterwards, as I recall, and Norman was quite a character.

I hadnt realised that they were in the competition too. Had they not already been booked for some festival gigs? Welcome Inns venues, perhaps? Its all rather hazy now. :-)

• A forum reader sent us this:

Hi there, just with referance to the Ceolbeg thread, I remember seeing Seannachie at the Caley Brewery, many years before Burach were even thought of. The competition (god dont you hate even the idea) that Burach won was in the 90s, fortunately Mr Green had decent foresight to get the Def Shepards in there too. Im sure you know all this though by now. .....

• Seannachie were on the go for many years. They originally formed in 1982 when the founding members included John Borland and Martin McGarrity(flute). There were many changes in the line up over the years and they once had an excellent concertina player. ;-)
  • I didnt know Martin McGarrity played with Seannachie. I just knew them from when Simon joined. Theres a bit about them here: http://www.footstompin.com/artists/seannachie
  • I seem to remember there was a flute player called Jonathon in Seannachie - hope Ive got his name right ! Anyway, he told me the band were once billed as Sean n Archie ! A jazz duo I knew who called themselves Anthropology were billed outside the pub as An Apology ... pitfalls , eh? ! :)
  • Jonathon Simmons played flute, whistles and bodhran on their 1986 Within the Fire along with John Borland, Penny Johnston, Derek Harkins and Alex Yellowlees. By the 88 album Take NoteSimon, Elspeth Cowie and Donald Gorman were in while Penny, Jonathon and Alex were out.

Im not sure if Derek was still around for thew 1991 Devils Delight

• Thanks, Nigel !! Couldnt remember Js surname, although did a few gigs with him way back then.Any idea if hes still playing? He was the first person I heard playing Tarbolton, which I still really like! :)
  • Derek left after Take Note! (good title!) Nick Brennan joined for Devils Delight (it is him on the cover disguised as the devil) but had to leave to go back to Australia (great guy) and we were joined by Seamus Hayes on guitar from Ireland who was studying drama at Queen Margarets.
  • Spike sez, Any idea if hes still playing? He was the first person I heard playing Tarbolton, which I still really like! :)

I dont know anything about him Im afraid, Spike, apart from his involvement in that band. Re Tarbolton Lodge (I assume its the same tune), I have just contributed a track to a Celtic mandolin compilation album comprising The Warlocks (which Ive heard you play adeptly on cello) and Hatton Burn (another name for Tarbolton Lodge). Great, great tune.

• Thanks, again Nigel ! will look out for the album !:)
  • Davy carmicheal is live and kicking, living in dundee stobbie area, can catch him sometime in the harlequins pub, princess st, doesnt play as much banjo/mandola now, but plays acoustic and what a fantastic singer. from a very special admirer.....arlene
  • I new Davy Carmichael long time ago, he gave me an vinyl album in 1984, it was just called Coelbeg, the band members were, Dave Whyte, Kenny Hadden, Peter Boond, Stuart Morison and Davy. At the time Peter, Stuart and Davy were all in the pub and each signed the cover, unfortunately neither Dave or Kenny were there, so I didnt get all their autographs. I seem to remember that they were either about to go to Canada or had just returned from there.
  • A rare blast from the past this one. :-)
  • Pete Boond would be the authority on Ceolbeg, having been an original member from the beginning through to the farewell gig at the Queens Hall 2 years ago.

Er, I think youll find that was actually ten years ago this coming August Kenny... I was invited to play, but due to my 40th birthday the night before had to retire hurt in advance of the gig, due to being emotionally overwrought and incapable.

• Youre never pushing 50, young man? Doesnt time fly?

Then again, if your eyesight hadnt been failing you, youd have noticed that Kenny posted that message in 2005. So, two years before then would have been nine years ago now. So, maybe he was fairly close after all. :-)

• I have some photos of Ceolbeg taken at Newtonmore Festival in 1986/7 ish when Davey Steele had recently joined the band.
  • Elizabeth. Is this coelbeg album from 1984 still available or was it ever released I cant seem to find any mention of it anywhere. Where are the band members from this time, are they still playing.
  • http://www.thesession.org/recordings/display/3017 Only ever released as a vinyl LP, and also as cassette tape.
  • Just noticed it was 30 years ago this weekend since the Edinburgh Folk Festival competition. Heres a recording of a medley from the 1st Ceolbeg LP, which was never released on CD. A fairly rough recording from Aberdeen University Folk Club in Dec.1984, but that Bob McPhersons is still a great jig !http://youtu.be/ZjPI17XYtUg