Anything as good as Silly Wizard?

My dad used to play a lot of Silly Wizard and Planxty when I was a kid. Now, Im 35 and have 4 kids of my own. I recently played my youngest son Silly Wizard and he loves them. I get a kick out of this because hes 10, lives on Texas and loves rodeo, football and baseball. Most of his friends either listen to rap or new country. So I think his interest in Silly Wizard is very cool. His favorite songs are Queen of Aragyll and Ramblin Rover. I also really enjoy these and almost all of SWs other songs. My problem is that I cant find anything else like them. I want to fuel my sons new interest in this type of music. I also would enjoy it. Is there anyone out there as good? There was something very powerful and yet fun about their music. Who would you recommend?Thanks

Comments

• My dad used to play a lot of Silly Wizard and Planxty when I was a kid. Now, Im 35 and have 4 kids of my own. I recently played my youngest son Silly Wizard and he loves them. I get a kick out of this because hes 10, lives on Texas and loves rodeo, football and baseball. Most of his friends either listen to rap or new country. So I think his interest in Silly Wizard is very cool. His favorite songs are Queen of Aragyll and Ramblin Rover. I also really enjoy these and almost all of SWs other songs. My problem is that I cant find anything else like them. I want to fuel my sons new interest in this type of music. I also would enjoy it. Is there anyone out there as good? There was something very powerful and yet fun about their music. Who would you recommend?Thanks
  • Some suggestions in no particular order:Jock Tamsons BairnsOssianBreabachDeaf ShepherdMalinkyRuraBoys of the LoughThe Iron HorseCeolbegFinn MacCuillOld Blind DogsThe Easy ClubBack of the MoonFine FridayThe Battlefield BandCalasaigManranCapercaillieThe Tannahill WeaversThe ChairWhistlebinkiesDaibh
  • All similar but different if you know what I mean.Ossian were probably my favourite Scottish band from than era but SWs influence and legacy is immeasurable.
  • There is definitely something unique about their music. So many of there songs are so intense and vivid that I feel like theyre either telling a story (and Im there) or Im watching an intense seen in a movie. I also feel like their music, although from a certain era, is timeless and has a current feel for whoever is listening. Nigelgatherer- thanks for the suggestions. Ill check them out. Does anyone else feel like there are any groups that compare to SW in music, vocals and style?Also, are there any SW DVDs ?
  • In answer to the last question, there was a live recording made of the band in Atlanta, Georgia in 1988. It was released on VHS video tape, the technology available at the time. To my knowledge, it has never [ legally ] been released as a DVD recording, although I was told there were plans to release it a few years ago. So far it hasnt happened. I think some clips from the concert may be up on Youtube - shouldnt be too difficult to find.Best of luck, Kenny
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=appBtXoxfb8&list=RD appBtXoxfb8&feature=shareIf the link works, this should take you to Donald McGillivray from that concert. The guy who posted it has also posted 2 other clips.
  • Seems to work OK.